Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Protesting Protests
That's it. I'm taking time off from work, I'm not going to class, I'm going to make large signs and stand in the middle of the street in downtown, block traffic, and scream until I am heard and I make it on the news. I'm protesting all of these protests.

I'm not against the act of protesting. In fact, I support taking a stand on something and passionately backing that up. I just don't agree with the way many of the protesters protest.

Seriously people, do you think all the yelling and screaming and getting in the way of people trying to get to work or home from work everyday really makes a difference? Do you think Bush or people in influencial positions are sitting home, watching the mobs gather and march around the streets obstructing traffic and getting arrested, thinking, "You know, they really are right. I see them in the street getting in the way of people doing their jobs to keep this economy running. I see them getting arrested, filling up our jails, and taking police officers away from catching criminals. I see those naked people spelling out 'No War' in a field. I see these celebrities speaking out against the war at the Oscars. Because they are naked, celebrities, and angry mobs, I hear what they say and they have totally convinced me that we should immediately stop the war." Hmmmm. I don't think so.

To me it just looks like a bunch of silly people not wanting to go to work or class, and looking for an excuse to make a big deal out of something because it's "for a good cause". I don't take any of the protestors seriously because these scenes of protest just come across as loud, bored, angry, immature people. Why would I support that?

Go ahead and protest. But I implore you to get creative and think of a more constructive way to do it. Something that will really convince people to listen to you about your cause, rather than be frustrated and annoyed at the sight of you. Don't you think that might work a little better?

Especially don't get in my way while I'm trying to get to work or do what I need to do everyday. I may not ever be exactly anxious to arrive at my job everyday, or excited to be here. But when you start getting in the way of how this country runs, impeding those of us who still see the importance of going to work, doing our jobs, supporting the economy, and trying to make sure this place is still standing when our troops come home, you are working against the very thing you think you are trying to protect and support.

Now, put your pants on, go to work, get to class, polish your Oscar and/or Grammy, and think about what I've said.

C.T.

No comments: