Thursday, March 20, 2003

Career Goals
I think the reason I've not quite found my ideal career is because I don't have a typical career in mind. I mean, I guess the basic ideas are typical. But the context around them gets a little, well, quirky.

I want to write a book. Not a profound work of literary magnificence, destined to be highschool required reading someday. But something of a best-selling cult classic that quietly becomes the must-read of the century. One of those books that everyone has read and enjoyed and passed on to friends and family. My first book will be a great story loosely based on my life, but funnier, more dramatic, heartwarming, sarcastic, and with valuable life-lessons throughout. My book will eventually be read by a movie producer, and with my help on the screenplay and a small supporting role on-screen, my story will make it to the big screen and into history as a Steel Magnolias, or Shawshank Redemption, or Christmas Vacation, or some other staple of movie history. Not a huge blockbuster, but one with staying power, and a great cast.

I want to be an actress. But not a leading lady, having to pick and choose big movies that will define my career. I want to be the actress in the background of all movies and television shows. I'll be the girl that gets the laughs for a few brief minutes, but isn't a main character. Or the girl who gets killed as a friend of the main star, and the rest of the film is about my friend the star's quest to avenge my death. Or one of the evil secret agents that appears every once in awhile to spar with Sydney Bristow, then we eventually wind up on the same side, become friends, and decapitate Sloan and Evil Francinator. I'll be highly in demand and recognized as one of those "Hey, that's the girl who had cancer on ER and fought heroically for 45 minutes into the show, then died after Dr. Corday let baby Ella perform the life-saving surgery. Didn't I see her last week on Law & Order as a pick-pocketing drifter stalking her own stalker? Next week she's on The Practice as a lawyer who sues herself for sexual harrassment" actors.

I want to be a singer. But not the lead singer of a band or a solo artist with several platinum selling albums. I want to be the fabulous back-up singer on every one else's platinum selling albums. I'll be able to blend in with any musician in need of additional vocals. I'll tour with a group or solo artist from time to time, and when I'm not touring I'll add my voice to other recording projects as I'm needed. My name and voice will be on every big cd from all the big artists. Millions of people will hear my voice and not even know it.

I want to someday be a question on Jeopardy. You know you have made your mark on the world when the question to an answer on Jeopardy is your name, especially if none of the contestants even buzz in to attempt a response. Answer: Name the celebrity who has successfully accomplished the following career crossovers: well-known best-selling author and screenplay writer, widely known character actress for television and screen, and professional vocalist for many well-known musical acts. Question: Who is the artist currently known as The Cynical Tyrant? Correct!

Yeah, I can't figure out why my career isn't working out according to my goals, either.

C.T.

No comments: