Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Caffeine - The Eternal Struggle
My battle with caffeine is an on-going issue. Several years ago I had a major caffeine problem. I'd consume much coffee and Coke throughout the day. These were pretty much the only beverages of which I'd partake. After developing some stomach problems (not directly related to the caffeine over-indulgence), my doctor insisted that I give up the caffeine. Little did I know this was the beginning of much suffering. It would have been easier just to put me down on the spot.

So, I stopped the caffeine cold turkey. This was a big mistake. What happened next was a three-week headache, much sleepiness, and general grumpiness. I was not pleasant to be around for many weeks in a row. And, I was thirsty. What do people drink if not coffee and Coke?

Water. Bland, boring, tasteless water.

Well, I discovered that once I was past the withdrawal phase, I actually felt much better. It was tough to stay away from the caffeine. Coffee is all over the office, and it was hard to go to lunch and not order a Coke. But, I adapted and soon I never even missed the sweet, satisfying caffeinated beverages of my past.

I went about two years, completely caffeine free. You don't get a chip, or go to a support group for this. No Caffeine-aholics Anonymous. No, I did it all on my own, and before I knew it quite a bit of time had passed since that last Coke. I discovered I actually didn't need the stuff to make it through a day. I definitely deserved a medal of some sort.

Well, somewhere along the line I slipped up. I'm sure it started with Coke, my main weakness. And I blame my family. When I don't spend time with them, I'm not tempted by Cokes or coffee. I'd quit buying Cokes, and I'd put my coffee maker in the back of my cabinet, so as not to be tempted to make coffee at home. But, my family does drink heavily when it comes to coffee, Cokes, and tea. Oh, how I love sweet tea. When I'm with family, I'm forced to participate in their custom of consuming the caffeinated beverages. When in Rome, right? I don't want to be rude. . .

So my caffeine rules are now this: Maximum one Coke a day. And no coffee while in the city where I live. Coffee is only to be had on vacation. And any time I am out of town falls into the category of 'vacation' for the purposes of these rules. Once out of town, I'm allowed basically a free-for-all with the Coke, coffee, and tea. After all, I work so hard the rest of the time staying away. I deserve a treat.

When back home after a caffeine-filled vacation, I usually suffer for a day or two back on my strict caffeine diet. But it's soooo worth it.

Today, I am in withdrawal because there are no caffeinated softdrinks anywhere to be found in the office. Sticking to my coffee rule, I do insist on one Coke a day. We usually have drinks available here at work. My preference is Coke. Then I'll go with Pepsi. And if all else fails, Dr. Pepper. Today, I saw Sunkist. And I was sad.

And now sleepy. And getting a headache. . .

Curse caffeine. I just can't win.

C.T.

No comments: