Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Hand Check
There's a painting that I see everyday. It's a very large painting of The Last Supper. It's not a replica of the official Last Supper. But it's a huge Last Supper painted by someone.

When I say I 'look' at it everyday, what I mean is that I stare at it. I plop my lunch down right in front of it, and sit where I can stare right at it. No, I'm not meditating or anything holy like that. I'm just obsessed with it.

Why the obsession? It seems the number of disciples in the painting doesn't quite match up with the number of hands in the painting. I can't figure it out. Twelve disciples should equal twenty-four hands. I'm not actually sure there are twenty-four hands shown in the painting. But the more I look at it, the more I see that something doesn't quite add up.

The disciples are in various poses, some leaning over, some serving food, etc. Some hands are shown, some are hidden. I've very carefully followed the extremities on display as best I can, to see which disciple is connected to which hand. I haven't been able to find the exact discrepancy. And maybe I never will.

But until I find the scripture to prove otherwise, this historical, and I'm sure thoroughly researched and accurate re-creation of the momentous Last Supper tells me that one of Jesus' disciples did, in fact, have three hands.

C.T.

No comments: