Monday, February 16, 2004

White. Wet. Cold. Slushy. Um . . . stuff.
This is commonly known as snow. But here in Texas, we don't see enough of it to immediately recognize it as 'snow' when we wake one morning to a Winter Wonderland.

Usually when the weather people tell us it's going to snow the next day, there is a 75% chance the next day will be sunny and warmer than usual. Or, we get ice. Just ice. Not snow. Slippery, ugly, dangerous, stupid ice.

So on Friday when the weather people predicted a 'Winter Storm' bringing snow, I chose not to completely freak out and prepare for the worst. I did, however, loosely plan for a day at my home, snow or no snow.

I rented some DVDs. That was the extent of my planning.

When I awoke Saturday morning and looked outside my window, I saw that my yard was covered with white stuff. Lots and lots of white stuff. And it was still falling from the sky. Could that actually be snow? Real, live snow?

It was. Several inches of it. Good thing I planned for it!

I opened all of my blinds to let the view of snowy goodness into the house. It was like I'd awakened in some place other than Texas. Some arctic, frozen, igloo-ey place. Everything was covered in snow: ground, streets, sidewalks, trees, cars, patio tables. Everthing. And it was sticking. Piling up. This was real snow!

Well, this changed the plan for the day considerably. The DVDs would have to wait. Gazing out my front window, I discovered the priority for the day: build a bigger snowman than the one the kid built next door.

I can't let him win.

I created a mental list of things required of a snow day. These are things I save up for days like this. And since this would likely be the only snow day of the year, my day was suddenly very busy with many things to do:

1. Make and drink a large pot of coffee.
I usually sit in my chair on Saturday mornings and drink a cup of coffee. On this day, since I planned to not leave the house all day, I decided to indulge and drink two cups of coffee. To combat the chilling effects of the snow falling outside. I sat and watched the snow fall, with my coffee.

2. Watch the news for any important weather announcements.
This is always critical in a 'snow storm'. I watched the news on Saturday to see coverage of Winter Blast 2004. They showed kids playing in the snow, snowmen, snowball fights, and general news that the snowfall would continue until noon. There seemed to be nothing dangerous about it. The news people seemed to be having a great time reporting on the snow conditions. Even still, it's good to keep informed about these things, in a near-blizzard situation.

3. Eat something warm for breakfast.
Instead of my usual Saturday morning bagel, I toyed with the idea of making pancakes. This is always a good snow-weather breakfast. However, I went with the best warm breakfast known to man: Cream of Wheat. And not the instant kind. I made it the long way. The three-minute way. Just like Grandma used to make. Although hers had lots of lumps in it. My dad said it wasn't supposed to have lumps in it. But I liked it that way. I can't ever make it do that. But it was still good on my snow day.

4. Bundle up for outdoor activities.
I lived in Colorado for several years. And I took two trips to Russia in the dead of winter. I've seen and experienced some serious cold. Therefore, I have all the appropriate gear for being out in the snow. Wicking long johns, special boots, snow coat, Gortex gloves, thermal wicking socks, and a snow hat. I located all of these items and put them on to prepare for some time in the snow. Sure, the neighbor kids were out in jeans and a sweatshirt, tempting the likes of hypothermia and frost bite. But I know better. You can't mess with cold in such a careless way. I would not be the one person to suffer from hypothermia in Texas in February.

5. Take pictures.
Since snow happens maybe once a year in Texas, it is important to capture the event on film. I hadn't seen snow like this even while I was Colorado for this past Christmas. So, I grabbed the camera to immortalize the Winter Storm on film. It was really beautiful, actually. I was careful to take pictures of everything before I ruined the smooth surfaces with footprints. I knew tomorrow it would all be gone and melted. So I took pictures like I'd never seen snow before.

6. Commence snow activities.
When we were kids growing up in Colorado, there was much to do when there was snow on the ground: Sledding, snow angels, snowmen, snow forts, snowball fights. I would need to cram all of these activities into one day, this day of Winter Blast. But since I didn't have a sled, or anyone handy to at which to throw a snowball, and since there was probably not enough snow to build both a fort and a snowman, I chose to stick with my snowman plan. I had to out-snowman the neighbor kid.

7. Build the man of snow.
It had been a long time since I'd built a snowman. And this particular snowman needed to be the best snowman on my street. It's a personal commitment to excellence with everything I do that is on display at my house. Nevermind that I am a grown-up, playing in the snow. It had to be done. The challenge had been extended by the kid next door. I had to answer with a better snowman.

I began moving snow around in the yard, unsure of the best place for the snowman. And not quite confident about how to start. Eventually I buckled down and got serious. Who cares if the neighbors are in their warm houses, watching the crazy lady in the snow gear build a snowman in her yard?? When I was finished, they would want a snowman just like mine. You just wait.

Soon, the bottom of the snowman took shape and I moved on to the middle section. This was going to be the greatest snowman ever built. Impeccably proportioned, standing tall. It was artwork, in the form of snow. People would come for miles to see the man of snow in my yard.

If I build it, they will come.

I soon had the snow head in place, and finished shaping the body of the snowman. The snow was perfect for the building of a snowman. It stuck and held its shape. The snowman was tall, but not too tall. Perfectly shaped, yet appropriately imperfect. After all, I didn't want to make the neighbor kid cry because my snowman was so much better than his. I just wanted him to see what a real snowman should look like. So he can improve on his performance for next year's snow.

For finishing touches, I gave my snowman two eyes and a nose, made from shiny black rocks I had on hand. His mouth was two twigs bent into a half-smile. A smirk, if you will. I located two longer twigs for his arms. And I finished him off with a hat and a scarf that seemed to fit his personality. My little snow dude was complete.

All that was left was his name. He was a Chanandler Bong if I ever saw one. I named him so.

8. Take more pictures.
I grabbed the camera again to capture Chanandler on film. I caught all of his sides and poses, showing his playfulness, yet his ability to stand perfectly still and wow the neighbors. I was so proud of my little snow dude.

He was definitely the best snow dude on the street. And not only because the neighbors had already knocked over their snowdudes from earlier in the day.

9. Thaw out.
I went inside, removed my snow gear, returned to Phase Four flannel wear, and settled in with some hot chocolate to admire my work. At first I feared that Chanandler would be picked on by others in the neighborhood. But as I kept a watchful eye out the window, the neighborhood seemed at peace with my snowdude. He just watched the cars go by, smirking with his knowing smirk.

Such a good snowboy.

10. Watch DVDs.
All good snowdays should involve watching DVDs on the couch, under a warm blanket. Technically, the streets were safe enough for travel. Nothing was icy. But to truly enjoy a snow day, one must pretend that one cannot leave the house. I was snowed in. The Winter Blast forced me to be homebound all day.

I loved it.

11. Watch the snow begin to melt.
In Texas, the snow we do get doesn't last long. By the end of the snow day, the snow was beginning to melt. The next day, it was almost completely gone. Including Chanandler the Snowdude. He held on for as long as he could, but eventually he melted over backwards and was nothing more than a heap of snow.

I miss him. He was the only man I had for Valentine's Day.

But it was a remarkably good Valentine's Day.

And the only thing that would have made it better was if it had taken place on Friday, instead of Saturday, so I would have gotten a free day off from work.

Maybe next year when it snows again.

C.T.

No comments: