Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Re-discovered Clothing
Sometimes I go in my closet and discover a shirt I haven't seen in awhile. It's like finding a new shirt. It's buried amongst shirts I wear all the time, yet for some reason, it's been awhile since I've worn this particular shirt.

I pull it out of the closet, excited at my find. I wonder why I haven't worn it in so long. It looks fine, from what I can see of it hanging on the hanger. In fact, it looks great. The outfit mentally forms in my head. I will wear this shirt to work tomorrow and it will be as though I have a brand new shirt. I'm ecstatic.

The next morning, I look forward to assembling my outfit for the day. I choose pants that match, and happily don the shirt that has been MIA for an indefinite period of time. I finish my morning routine, doing what I can to prepare myself for a long day at work. Hair in place, make-up mostly intact. Shoes, watch, jewelry- check. I make one last stop by the mirror to examine the finished product as I hurry out the door.

Hmmm.

I'm not sure the shirt looks the way I pictured it looking with the whole ensemble. Did it always do that thing right there, and I just hadn't noticed it before? Am I supposed to wear different pants to make it look right? I can't remember. Something's not quite right.

Oh well. It's too late to change now. I'm sure it will be fine.

And by the time I get to work, I now clearly remember why I don't wear this shirt anymore.

I hate this shirt.

C.T.

No comments: