Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Last Check Standing
I pay for things with checks. Almost everything, in fact. It's an old habit, and one I am firmly committed to keeping. I refuse to switch to the check card.

Sure, many people still use checks to pay bills. Some do the online bill pay thing. But mailing checks is still fairly common. However, fewer people carry the checkbook to pay for purchases in stores. It's a dying artform. Sadly. Tragically.

I enjoy the check writing because it helps me keep track of my checking account. I automatically write it down in the check register, and then I don't have to worry about trying to remember it later. With the check card, I fear I would be swiping that thing left and right, never writing anything down, running out of money in my account without a care in the world.

I feel, too, that check writing is safer than the card. Anyone can use my card, just swipe and go. But trying to copy my arthritic signature that is way too long for a signature, in an attempt to forge my check? No way. I have bad handwriting for just such a purpose as to thwart check forgers.

I also find it hard to break old habits. I've done things this way for years. Changing my routine is a daunting idea. For one, my local bank that I've used for many years does not offer a check card with my type of account. When I started the account, check cards did not exist. I'm very happy with my bank. It's a free account. It's local. I'm loyal. So to even think about obtaining a check card would require me to research a new bank, or at least a new type of account with my bank, and then make a major change.

I fear change. I do not fear the checkbook.

I've grown accustomed to being a rare breed these days. Often, I'll pay for something at a store and notice that my check is the only check in the drawer. Cashiers seem surprised, almost bothered, when I pull out the checkbook. They often roll their eyes, as they have to look at my drivers license and run the check through the printer. Like that takes longer, or something. But, I am so good at writing checks, I'd challenge any of you check card-swiping people to a duel. It takes just as long for those keypad swiper thingies to process your card, while you type numbers on the keypad.

Just. As. Long.

So what if I can't write a check, you might ask. Well, there is cash in an emergency or non-check situation. I don't carry much cash, for good reason. I also don't always carry my checkbook, for good reason. But if I can't pay for it with a check, and I don't have the cash, I just don't need it. It's the rule.

Over the weekend, I ran some errands. At my first stop of the day, I noticed a woman at the register next to me. As I pulled out my checkbook and filled out my check for the purchase, she did the same. I almost could not hide my excitement! She wrote a check! I'm not the last one!

So you see, I am not competely the last check standing. Don't think I'm so strange to insist on the checkbook.

But I will make sure that I am the last check standing, if it comes to that.

Long live checks.

C.T.

No comments: