Monday, February 23, 2004

New Tea
This morning I am drinking new tea. I have a cup of tea almost every morning at work, in lieu of coffee. I've finally made it through almost all of my stash of Green Chai Tea. So this week has called for new tea.

Instead of buying the same tea, I bought a different flavor: English Breakfast Black Tea. I don't know why I chose this particular tea, except that it sounded interesting. Almost daring.

But, I'm so far puzzled with this tea. It's the same brand of tea, so one would think there would be similarities in consistency between flavors of tea. The Green Chai Tea looked, smelled, and tasted like a Green Chai Tea should taste. It comes in a green box. The color of the actual tea is a light green-ish color. And it has a wonderful herbal taste to it. Green Chai Tea. It is what it says it is.

This English Breakfast Black Tea, however, is nothing like the Green Chai Tea. It comes in a red box. Being black tea, one would think it should come in a dark black box, since the outside of the box boasts 100% natural assorted black teas. With more than one black tea in every tea bag, this box should be the blackest of black boxes.

As for the tea itself, after reading the box and just by name alone, I would expect to be drinking something roughly the color of tar. Or asphalt. Or charcoal. Black. Give me black tea. Instead, the tea itself is also a shade of red. I'm beginning to wonder what is so black about my Black Tea.

And, as advertised on the box, I'm expecting breakfast. English Breakfast Black Tea. Am I wrong to anticipate this tea is also accompanied by, say, an English Muffin? A scone, perhaps? Do the English merely drink this tea for breakfast? Breakfast is not breakfast if it is only liquid. This tea does not taste like any breakfast I've ever had. Not even cereal. But according to this box, I should drink this tea as breakfast and be full, like I just had eggs and bacon and waffles.

I've concluded this box of English Breakfast Black Tea is full of empty promises.

But, it's really good tea. Quite tasty.

I chose well.

C.T.

visit The Store of The Tyrant and buy stuff

No comments: