Thursday, February 12, 2004

These Kids Can Actually Sing
Make a note of this, people. After Group 1 of the American Idol hopefuls, I actually don't hate anyone in that group. I was not overly annoyed at any of the first eight contestants. In fact, I found it hard to pick only two that would be obvious to go onto the next round.

People, this is a first. I usually hate at least seven of the eight. I'm shocked and awed that we may have a tough competition this year. This is a very good thing.

I had to watch both of this week's AIs last night: the Tuesday night show from tape delay, followed immediately by the results show, live. I actually enjoyed this better because I could watch the performances, and then not have to deal with the waiting for a whole day before the results of who moves on to the next round. However, this takes me completely out of the voting. But, as I am more influencial as a part of the Blog Alliance, my voting is a moot point anyway. The Alliance has ultimate control.

Granted, not all of the performances were without flaw or some annoyance factors. My least favorite of the first eight was Marque, first because his name is Mark, but he prefers to be fancy and spell it with a 'q'. Plus, he sang "Hero". It was a decent performance, but I hate that song.

On second thought, my absolute least favorite was Ashley. She was boring, too pink, and I just wasn't feelin' her, as Randy would say. She carried her tune and didn't hurt my ears. But, any contestants that feel the need to talk back to the judges, hoping to make a good case for themselves, just annoy me. Shut up and smile, then walk away.

I was definitely impressed with young Diana, the youngest of all 32 remaining contestants, and first to perform Tuesday night. I would never know she is so young, based on her performance. And, I have a soft spot for "I've got the Music in Me." Because much like Diana, I too, have the music in me.

And then, there was Fantasia. I extended a challenge to all of the contestants on the T.I.R.E. (Targeted Idols for Removal and Evacuation) List. The challenge is for those on this hit list to impress me enough that I will justify removing them from the list. My main area of concern with Fantasia is that her name is Fantasia. I just find it difficult to support people named after Disney movies in a competition that is serious. Can I live in a world where my children may one day grow up and say they want to be just like Fantasia, the world famous singer? But, after Fantasia's performance, she is so far my favorite in the competition, overall. If for no other reason than the fact that the world could use a better Macy Gray than Macy Gray.

My picks out of Group 1 after Tuesday were Diana and Fantasia, and on Wednesday we were rewarded with the first two finalists chosen: Fantasia and Diana.

The Alliance is strong this year.

Next week is Group 2, the battle of GI Jane versus the two Jesuses, and a Rose Bowl winner who needs to quit talking about winning the Rose Bowl. I like him. He needs to chill on the Rose Bowl.

Regarding the Alliance and America's Next Top Model, somehow Catie has managed to last another week. And the one to go this week wasn't even Camille, who would be the next obvious choice. Clearly, we are having some communication issues in this area.

But upon evaluation of the situation, I think the person to blame here is Janice Dickinson, who has turned into even more of a super-psycho judge this year. She is everywhere, and inflicting too much influence on the show. Obviously she has infiltrated the mind of Tyra Banks, subconsciously manipulating Tyra into giving her more screen time. When Janice was the 'mystery interviewer' for this week's charisma challenge, the extreme close-up shot of her smiling face almost caused me to fall out of my chair. It was frightening. I sense that she is getting in the way of Alliance communications with the show, and is ruining our efforts to remove Catie from power. We will have to somehow overcome The Janice.

Next week, however, may be Catie's week. The previews showed more dangling from ropes above the ground, which caused her to freak out last time. Maybe she will just lose the will to model, and disappear on her own.

My favorites are Yoanna and Shandi. I have a heart for the underdog, and I will do everything in my power to help them succeed as models. Until they begin to annoy me. Then, they're out.

Once again, the Alliance has spoken.

C.T.

No comments: