Wednesday, April 09, 2003

What I've Learned From Cher
I happened to catch a bit of Cher's Farewell Concert on TV last night. Not intentionally, but it happened. Let me go ahead and say now that I am not a Cher fan. I've never owned, do not currently own, and likely will never own any of her music. She's a part of music history with some fun, catchy tunes to her credit. I give her props for that. But even not being a fan, and aside from the fact that her tour bus must have hit the Cirque de Soleil tour bus on the way to the concert and they all rolled in together to perform for the big show, I have to say that I liked what I saw of Cher last night. Here's why.

She loves what she does. She has a great time on stage. Granted, she's quitting. My first clue to this was the title of the show, Cher's Farewell Concert. But watching her perform, I saw someone who really loves what she does. I want that.

To be able to get up in front of people with such ease and comfort. To have confidence in who you are and what you bring to the table. To have that much creativity and the freedom to express it so vividly. To have that much influence on the history of something. To be excited about doing that for 40 years. To enjoy the people you are with everyday. To have fun and know that what you do is where you are supposed to be. That's what I want.

And to look that good at whatever age she is now. Except without all the wigs and headgear. Does she actually have her own hair? I fear she may be bald under there.

I don't want that. I want my own hair. Plus all the other good stuff I mentioned.

C.T.

No comments: