Wednesday, April 23, 2003

A Few More Idol Words
I'm a bit distracted today, after being away from my blog for so many days and coming out of the fog from my weekend ailment. So I'm just now collecting more thoughts for my Idol Recap O' the Week.

I'm not sure why FOX decided we needed an extra beating of Idol singing this week, but Monday's non-voting show reinforced to me that these kids are more starved for attention than anything else. As is Ryan Seacrest. But without the judges' witty banter and annoying comments, there really isn't much point in parading the contestants out on stage to sing songs we've already heard from them. Monday's show was a waste of my time. Had I not been sick, delirious, and too weak to lift my finger to change the channel on the remote, I totally would not have watched it.

Last night's regular voting show would have been enough for this week. And still I'm perplexed at how they manage to stretch six contestants singing minute-and-a-half songs into a full hour. Do we care that Herbal Essences arrived in an RV to do their hair? No. We do not.

I think if you total the notes Carmen has actually hit correctly in all of the songs she has performed throughout the competition, after last night's performance we would almost have one complete song of good notes. She was terrible. And yes, the goat thing is very annoying. Quite an accurate description from my fellow judges.

I actually wasn't impressed last night with any of our hopefuls. It was probably the Diane Warren songs and the high cheese factor. But Ruben looked great, and sounded good enough. I'm so thankful he ditched the 205. I didn't think Kimberly Locke sounded great, but the judges thought she did. And she looked great, so I hope she sticks around for another week. I like her more and more each week. Clay was the same as usual. And I agree with Simon's assessment that he would be great on Broadway. Trenyce was horrible. And she has some weird lip quiver thing going on. I've grown weary of her. I think she must have stolen some Crest Whitening Strips or a dentist, because her teeth looked uber-white last night.

Other than Carmen's horrible display of warbling, Josh was a close second for Worst Performance of the Night. As Simon put it, 'singing through his nose' was a generous compliment. It was just flat out really, really bad.

I predict tonight's bottom three will be Carmen, Trenyce, and Josh. As stated earlier, Carmen will stay because Randy and Simon enraged her fans by saying she won't win. Trenyce or Josh will go. Either is fine with me. I'm anxious to be rid of the rif-raf, so we can get down to the showdown of Ruben, Clay, and K. Locke.

C.T.

No comments: