Wednesday, April 16, 2003

I Wish I Knew How To . . .
Sometimes I hear words and I know what they mean. But I wonder what the words really mean in a literal sense. Like . . .

Saunter - Does anyone actually do this? I see walking, even strolling. But what makes it a saunter?

Gesticulate - Is there a difference between gesturing, and gesticulating? If so, teach me.

Postulate - There is arguing and making demands and asserting truth and assuming. But I would love to really let loose and postulate.

Lollygag - I can waste time like nobody's business. When is it truly a lollygag?

Putter - I hear of people puttering around. But what makes an effective putter?

Mandate - I can tell people what to do and make up rules and whatnot. I want to take that to the next level.

Bask - . . . in something. I enjoy warmth and sunshine, typically associated with basking. But how do I go from just enjoying, to actually basking?

Emulate - I can imitate and aspire to be, fairly accurately and without much difficulty. I just need to know how to tweak that into emulation.

Stifle - I can interrupt and suppress, even smother. But stifling seems a little trickier.

I don't intend to master all these things at once. Just eventually.

C.T.

No comments: