Thursday, April 17, 2003

Sometimes Life is Like a Mariachi Band Stranded on the Side of the Road
I was driving once, and I saw a mariachi band stranded on the side of the road. It was four hispanic guys dressed in full mariachi garb, head to toe. They were standing around an older car that was haphazardly pulled over to the side of the road, still semi-blocking traffic in one lane, but mostly out of the way. It looked like the car had conked out on them, and they'd just managed to ease it halfway into a parking lot before it completely gave out.

What was odd about them, besides the fact that they were a mariachi band stranded on the side of the road, was that they were all kicking the tires of the car. I mean, with much gusto, they kicked. Aside from the sad fact that it seemed their car was not getting them where they needed to be, it was quite humorous to witness. They were very clearly angry at the car, and apparently they decided the best thing to do was just to kick it. I'm not sure what they hoped to accomplish by the kicking. And I don't think they realized how odd the whole show was for passersby to see, or the attention they were attracting. The car didn't move, and naturally it didn't magically start running again. But as I passed by, along with lots and lots of other cars, there they continued to kick in frustration. And that's the last I saw of it.

Not that it's anything deep, but sometimes in life I just feel like getting out and kicking the tires for awhile, til I feel better. Then I remember I'm wearing my mariachi gear, and it's silly to put on such an odd display for so many people. But then, I don't care. I just need to kick the tires for awhile. In my own way. No matter what other people think as they pass by.

And that's okay.

C.T.

No comments: