Wednesday, April 02, 2003

More Daily Annoyances
7. People who can't be silent.
I'm totally comfortable not saying a word. I love silence. I'm just not a talker. So why do people assume that means I want to listen to them talk? I mean, I like to listen when in conversation and such. If you need a friendly ear, I'm all about that. But just because I'm not saying anything when you come along doesn't mean I need you to fill the silence by chattering on about superfluous stuff for the sake of combatting the silence. If you're uncomfortable with silence, don't make me suffer because of your discomfort. If I'm sitting at lunch and you decide to join me, don't assume I'm going to engage in conversation with you just because you start talking, and keep talking. Don't assume I need to be in a conversation. And beyond that, don't assume I need to hear about your life to make my lunch time any better than sitting and eating in silence. I'm cool with silence. If I was looking for interaction, I'd interact. People who assume that silence is their floor to start talking about themselves, and continue talking about themselves after no prompting or response from me, they are only managing to ruin a perfectly peacefully silent atmosphere.

If after a few minutes I'm not responding to you, chances are I'm trying to tell you something without actually telling you. Silence!

8. Over-use of certain words.
Here's a hint, if everything to you is 'awesome', the word eventually loses all meaning to anyone listening to you describe your 'awesome' experiences. There is no possible way everything can be 'awesome'. The sky may be pretty, but is it really 'awesome' every time you see it and it's blue? You may have found a nickel on the floor, but is that really 'awesome'? You may enjoy the food you are eating for lunch, but is it any more 'awesome' than the food you said was 'awesome' yesterday? It's not awesome to use 'awesome' so much. Quit it.

C.T.

No comments: