Friday, April 04, 2003

Say a Little Prayer
I've learned many, many things from my mom. But there is one thing she told me a long time ago that I hardly ever forget. I can't remember when she said it, or why. But I remember her telling my sister and me that every time we see an ambulance go by or on the side of the road helping someone, we should say a little prayer for the person needing the ambulance.

It was a long time before I really took that to heart. It was just one of those annoying 'mom' things that moms say to teach a life lesson, or to add another 'rule' to dampen our kid fun. Like, "don't bounce the ball in the house", or "go hug your sister." You hear your mom say these things, then you roll your eyes and go outside to play. I'm sure at the time I either didn't really hear her, or care to take it seriously. Praying for ambulances and people I didn't know seemed unnecessary.

But, it's strange the things that suddenly stick in your mind as time passes and things happen to change the way you think. A little different perspective goes a long way. It had been years since I thought about this little nugget of 'mom' wisdom imparted on my sister and me. But ever since the car accident that killed my sister and her two friends several years ago, I now almost always remember to say a quick prayer when I see an ambulance. Why? It's partly selfish, I guess. But I have good intentions. These people needing ambulances are no longer just people I don't know. They've become somewhat familiar, because they in some way need help and comfort, and I'm familiar with that. I will likely never meet them or know if they are okay, but I say a quick prayer for them and their families, much like I hope somebody passing by my sister's accident and the ambulances at the scene that day prayed for her and her friends, for the people taking care of her, and for my family. I'm thankful to anyone that did. Doesn't seem so annoying now.

So from my mom, to me, to you: Don't bounce the ball in the house. When you see an opportunity, take a moment to say a little prayer. And, go hug your sister.

C.T.

No comments: