Monday, April 07, 2003

I Don't Know the Words
This came up in the comments to an earlier blog, but was reinforced to me over the weekend. I hereby admit that I don't know the words to any song. Ever.

I know lots of songs. I can recognize them when I hear them. But I have no idea who sings any song, or the name of the song, or the lyrics. Any lyrics I do know are likely wrong. (ie: 'pour some shook up Ramen' = 'pour some sugar on me'; thank you T-Mobile)

I tend to hear the music over the words, so again I can totally recognize a song when I hear it. But I couldn't tell you what it is when I hear it. I just know that it's a song I should know.

I can hum the tunes, or sing a bass line, or catch the drum part. But I would fail miserably at any song naming or lyric reciting contest. The words just don't stick in my brain. I know I am very, very lame.

It does, however, make for interesting interpretations of lyrics. And often the feeling of being a total loser while all my friends sing along to the great classics, word for word, while I can only smile and nod. I'm sure I technically have an illness of some sort. I don't know what it is, but I blame an illness, whatever it is.

I also can't dance, but that's a whole other issue.

C.T.

No comments: