Thursday, May 01, 2003

The Vanilla Coke Conundrum
Today, I drink a can of Vanilla Coke. In the absence of a regular Coke, this is what I have handy to drink as my one daily allowance of caffeine.

I don't dislike Coca-Cola's version of Vanilla Coke. In fact, I was very excited to try it when it first came out a few months ago. But to me it just tastes like cream soda. I much prefer my homemade version of vanilla Coke, which I have been making and enjoying for many years prior to Coca-Cola bottling it and selling it. As I am sure I'm the only one who has ever thought of this (outside of Coca-Cola), had I only thought to patent the recipe, I'd be very rich right now. And famous, since I would naturally display my face prominently on each can or bottle.

If you would like to try it at home to compare, it's a very simple recipe:
1. Pour some Coke (plain, regular, non-diet) into a glass or cup, over ice.
2. 'Carefully measure' a small amount (less than a teaspoon, depending on the volume of Coke in the cup. but if you actually get out a teaspoon to measure it, you may ruin the whole process) of common Vanilla extract, add this to the Coke in the glass or cup.
3. Stir.

Too much vanilla will make it too sweet. Not enough vanilla will fail to affect the taste of the Coke. You can adjust to your liking. The desired taste is a smoother, yet still biting taste of familiar Coke.

Stirring is the most important ingredient. If you don't stir it well, the vanilla will settle to the bottom and taste icky.

And the Tyrant's Vanilla Coke is simply not icky.

C.T.

No comments: