Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Things I Thought Had Long Since Disappeared
On my way to work this morning, I saw one of those suction cup Garfield things that people used to stick to the windows of their car in the 80's. Like Garfield was inside the car hanging on for dear life, pressed up against the window. I used to see them everywhere, and I'll admit I even had one. I was too young at the time to own a car, but I had one stuck to my mirror in my bedroom. I was cool.

People who have them now, however, are not cool. I didn't even think these things still existed, or were currently manufactured. This was a fairly new Mazda Miata convertable, which could be the problem. This is not a cool car, but people who drive them seem to think they are cool. And there it was, a big ol' Garfield suctioned to the window. The front windshield, no less. So many things about this scene were just simply uncool.

I should have turned the Jeep loose on the guy and his Miata and his Garfield.

There are things from the 80's that could justifiably be revived and still remain cool, or retro. The Garfield suction thingy is not one of them. Let it go, people.

C.T.

No comments: