Thursday, May 08, 2003

Ba-Bye, Idol Semper Fi
At long last, the field has been narrowed down to three people who can actually sing on American Idol. Last night saw the fabulous farewell of Josh, the Singing, Dancing Marine Who Can Neither Sing Nor Dance. I really believe this will help our country as a whole, seeing as Josh is much better suited for Marine-type things, rather than performing in cheesy sing-a-longs. In the event of another war, I'll feel safer knowing Josh is armed with a gun and camouflage pants, rather than a microphone and leather pants.

Unfortunately, I was not that impressed with the BeeGees medley. Yes, I realize I can be quoted as saying 'More BeeGees!' from my last Idol post. But I should have been more specific. What I meant was, more actual BeeGees. Or at least good renditions of their songs. And still, where was Stayin' Alive? Did I miss it, or did they really leave it out? I mean, they got Night Fever and You Should be Dancin', which are also some of my favorites. I guess since one more person would not be "stayin' alive" in the competition, they didn't feel the need to sing that song.

Once again, I spotted Julia DeMato in the audience, sitting dangerously close to her new best friend and fellow boot-ee, Kimberly Caldwell. Seriously, does she not have anything better to do than lurk around where she isn't wanted? And how does she always manage to get her mugly mug on camera? Go home, Julia. Or move in with Josh and his family. You can do his highlights on the base. Maybe set up a salon for yourself there. Julia's Marine Highlights and Hairdos. At the least, quit showing up places where I can see you!

I just had a scary thought. The American Idol 2 tour will likely include all of our non-favorite losers, coming soon to a city near you. Julia, Carmen, Lance Corporal Josh. The horror . . .

Back to more pleasant thoughts, K. Lo will seriously have to 'bring it' for next week, if she wants to stay alive past the final three. I am glad she didn't get the boot, but Ruben and Clay will be tough to beat. Clay needs to work on a better facial expression than "I think I'm gonna hurl", as he so largely displayed on screen last night while Ryan "I'm Wearing a Thong You Can't See" Seacrest read the judges' comments about his performance. I seriously thought Lance Corporal Josh was about to have to clean puke off the couch with a tooth brush, while doing push-ups with his other arm.

Things are finally getting serious, here on American Idol. May the best Idol-ee win.

C.T.

UPDATE: Upon review of the tape of Wednesday's show, the Idol-ees did, in fact, sing Stayin' Alive. Thank you.

No comments: