Friday, November 23, 2007

The True Meaning of Thanksgiving

During this Thanksgiving holiday, I have discovered the true meaning of Thanksgiving.

It apparently means this: Strangers, please come knock on my door.

Yesterday (Thanksgiving Day), it was about 10:00am and my doorbell rings. I'm still in my pjs. I am not expecting anyone. My family isn't expecting me at their house until later in the afternoon.

Naturally, I am confused.

I creep up to my door to look through the peephole (I have to hunch over because the top of my door is a window, and I don't want to take the chance that whoever it outside of my door will see the top of my head approaching the door), and I see those two Jehovah's Witnesses that came by a couple of months ago.

They did mention at that time that they would like to come by again sometime. Um . . . why is Thanksgiving a good day for this??? And before noon???

When I saw who it was, I creeped backwards away from my door and went back to my bedroom. It is Thanksgiving, JWs. I am in no mood to talk with you about your weird religion.

Expecially before noon.

Then, it was today. Just a few minutes ago, in fact. I am sitting on my couch, snuggled underneath my blankets, typing a blog. The shades are open on my front window and I can see this guy walk slowly by the house, staring at the house, obviously realizing that someone is probably home.

He has a clipboard.

Then I see him walk past the window again and up to my door. Doorbell rings.

I stay on the couch, typing my blog. Completely ignoring the doorbell because I do not care who he is, and it is warm underneath my blankets. I'm not getting out.

Then he KNOCKS. Um, if I don't answer the doorbell, chances are I'm not going to answer your knock, either.

He eventually wanders away. A few minutes later I see him across the street, trying the same thing at my neighbors' houses.

Here's a tip: If I don't know you, I am not going to answer the door if you are at my door. I don't care if my window is wide open and it is completely obvious that I am sitting in here watching you ring my doorbell. I have no problem NOT opening my door to strangers.

I don't want what you are trying to sell me.
I don't care if you have an "official" clipboard.
I don't want you to attempt to convert me to your religion.
I don't care if you are a boy scout.

I am not going to answer the door if I don't know who you are.

(I really did refuse to answer the door a month or so ago when I knew it was a boyscout out there trying to sell me one of those tiny $17 tins of popcorn. He might have been cute, but not cute enough for me to spend $17 on, like, three kernels of popcorn.)

My one exception to this rule is if you are the Fire Department and my house is on fire or something. Then I will answer the door, if, of course, the door is not on fire.

But not if you are the fake Fire Department. So don't even try.

Safety First.

C.T.

No comments: