Monday, June 30, 2003

My future Money Pit
Remember that great '80s movie, Money Pit? I love this movie. It's highly entertaining. Tom Hanks and Shelley Long, and a hilarious house-buying nightmare. They find this great old house, owned by this sweet old lady whose husband recently died. She sells it to them for next to nothing, as the widowed mourner, just sad and sentimental enough to play on their sympathies. The house looks perfect. It's beautiful. It seems like their dream home. . . until they move in. Then all hell breaks loose and the house falls apart, room by room, floor by floor, ceiling by ceiling, including an exploding kitchen. The sweet little old lady is long gone, and has duped these first time homebuyers into dealing with her mansion-esque shack.

Well, I may not have found a mansion, but I have finally found a great house to buy. It's old, with character. And, it is owned by a sweet little old lady. Whose husband died recently. She's eager to move out of this house they shared, so she's offering it at a great price, including some of the great old furniture she doesn't want to take with her. Plus the refrigerator. The entire house is completely recently updated. Great neighborhood. She seems comfortable with my offer and ready to bestow the house upon me. By all appearances, this seems like the perfect home and perfect situation for me.

So I'm waiting for the Money Pit moment to kick in about five minutes after closing on the house, as the old lady drives away with my money in hand, watching me wave goodbye in her rearview mirror, standing in front of the house collapsing behind me. That would be just my luck.

But at least it would be entertaining. Especially if the kitchen explodes.

C.T.

No comments: