Thursday, June 19, 2003

Toothpaste is Art
So, I'm brushing my teeth this morning, as I do every morning, except for those mornings when I accidentally forget until I get in to work and realize that my teeth are fuzzy, and I noticed my tube of toothpaste proudly exclaims, "New Look!". Then I wondered, why a new look?

I'm a Crest user. Not for any particular reason except that I don't hate the way it tastes, and I assume it is getting my teeth clean. That's not to give it free promotion or tell you that Crest is the paste for you. It's just the paste I use. If you use it and your teeth turn blue and rot out of your head, don't blame me. I'm not telling you to use Crest. Use it on your own.

Anyway, I'm puzzled by product redesigns, especially in regards to things like toothpaste. Does the way the tube looks really affect the toothpaste buying public? Does it affect my teeth brushing experience everyday? If you put mud in a great looking tube, called it toothpaste, and put it on the toothpaste aisle, would people buy it and like it just because of the great looking tube? Are there people out there saying, "I have always hated Crest. I used it once and my teeth turned blue and rotted out of my head. But, since it has a great new look, I will now invest in Crest." Is there a secret war going on between toothpaste brands, to create the best looking tube, as though the tube is more important than the actual paste? Do we use our tube of paste everyday, pausing for a moment to admire how good it looks? Do we leave it out on display because the 'new look' really impresses us so much, as to turn it into art?

Maybe so. But that's weird. It's just toothpaste.

C.T.

No comments: