Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Models, Inc.
Does anyone else remember this TV show? It was on for a season, maybe two, during the Melrose Place and 90210 genre. It came on either before or after Melrose, and my college friends and I would usually end up watching it just because we were already gathered for our weekly Melrose viewings. Models, Inc. was about a group of female models, living in a house together, modeling for an agency, and their typical model woes. I never could figure out why they all had to live in the same house, like they couldn't afford to live on their own, yet they all wore fabulous clothes and drove expensive sports cars.

So, basically my new favorite reality show, America's Next Top Model, is Models, Inc without a script. People, if you are not watching this show, you are seriously missing out on some quality, fun television. I laughed harder last night during this hour of TV than I have lately about sitcoms designed to make me laugh. Oh the woes of models-to-be. You'd think they are being held in a POW camp. Only it's a nicer POW camp than any house I will ever own, it's fully stocked with food and whatever they need, and they have people doing their hair and make-up for them.

Last night's big issue was Elyse's potential eating disorder. Oh, the drama that ensued. Like she is surprised people question her eating habits? Now, I can somewhat relate to Elyse and her frustration with everyone judging her eating habits. I've always been really thin, and have had more than one doctor ask me if I am anorexic during a check-up. My mother would laugh, as my Dad's childhood nickname for me was the Bottomless Pit. We could never figure out how such a tiny kid could consume so much food and still be hungry. I assure you I will eat 4-5 times today, and I'll still be hungry when I go to bed.

Elyse, however, seems to be really offended that people question her eating habits. But I have to say I can't blame them. She eats next to nothing, and is rail thin. I don't believe she has a true eating disorder. I don't think she looks unhealthy. But I do think she could stand to spend some quality time with a gallon container of Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream. If she could wrestle it away from me, that is.

The thing I love about Elyse is that the only reason she is still playing this game is because she can't stand to lose. Her heart is absolutely not in this. She is cynical about the whole thing. Yet she is the best at everything. She wins all of the challenges. She looks great on film. It's fabulous!

What killed me last night was the 'interview' training and challenge. Ladies and gentlemen, these are models. Not to jump on the stereotype bandwagon, but after hearing their segments of the interviews with Mr. Working Media Man, these girls are truly about as uninteresting as concrete. And they were all trying so hard to be interesting and personable and 'themselves', that they came off truly hysterical. I would not have been able to keep a straight face while interviewing them. That's probably why they didn't ask me to be a judge on the show. My uncontrollable laughter at the expense of these poor girls.

The second best part was the nutty photo shoot. Let me describe for you. It was a shoot for Adidas or some sport clothing company. They basically dressed the girls up in jerseys and workout clothes, then shredded the clothes to pieces and tied them back up with shoestring. They added bizarre make-up and dramatic hair. Then they got some professional football player I'd never heard of, made him stand still on the set, and had the girls take flying leaps directly at him for the shots. So bizarre. Yet apparently very artistic.

The third best part was when Tyra stood up and told the girls she farted just a little when she stood up just then. Gosh, now I've lost all respect for The Tyra.

Oh the hijinks of models. Poor Giselle went home. I hope her family let her back in the house.

Seriously. Watch this show. Too funny.

C.T.

No comments: