Wednesday, June 18, 2003

SPAM-ed again
It's been awhile since I've gotten one of these, but here is my latest SPAM encounter. Below is the email. Following is my response. You really should try this. I get much less SPAM from the same people when I repond to them like this.

The SPAM scam (as it was sent to me, spelling and all):

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:15:33 +0200
Subject: Good_Day_(Confidential)
From: "amos200_u"

Dear friend,

With due respect and huminity, I write to you this proposal. I am a staff of WEST INTERBANKING TRUST AND SECURITIES, Abidjan . I am writing following the impressive regards to you about this businees opportunity. In my department, we discovered an abandoned sum of U.S$18.2.M US dollars) in an account that belongs to one of our foreign customer who died along with his entire family in september 2000 in a plane crash. Since we got information about his death, we have been expecting his next of kin to come forward and claim his money because we cannot release it unless somebody applies for it as next of kin or relation to the deceased as indicated in our banking guidelines and policies but unfortunately we learnt that all his supposed next of kin or relation died along side with him at t he plane crash leaving nobody behind for the claims.

It is therefore upon t his discovery that I decided to make this business proposal to you and release the money to you as the next of kin or relation to the deceased. since nobody is coming forth to claim the money and we don't want this money to go into the Bank treasury as unclaimed Money. The request of foreigner as next of kin in this business is occasioned by the fact that the customer was a foreigner and an ivoirian cannot stand as next of kin to a foreigner. We agree that 25% of this money will be for you as a foreign partner.In respect to the provision of a foreign account, 10% will be map out for any expenses incured during the curse of the transaction and 65 % would be for me and my colleagues.

There after I will visit your country for disbursement according to the percentages indicated. Therefore to enable the immediate transfer of this fund to you as arranged, you mus t apply first to the bank as relation or next of kin of the deceased indicating your bank name, your bank account number, your private telephone and fax number for easier and effective communication and location where the money will be remitted .

Upon receipt of your reply, I will send to you by fax or email the text of the application. I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch free and that you should not entertain any atom of fear as all required arrangements have been made for the transfer .You should contact me as soon as you receive this letter. Hoping to hear from you.

Your's faithfully,

MR AMOS UNISA.

My response (hee hee):

Mr. Unisa!!
I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear from you!! Since September 2000, I have been searching the world for my long lost beloved Great Uncle who disappeared with the rest of my family while traveling the world by plane. I suspected as much, that they met their end tragically in a crash. But until just now, I could not be sure. While I am saddened at their loss, I have long since made my peace with it, since my Great Uncle hasn't returned my phone calls for over two years, and I've been forced to continue on during that time hearing nothing at all from my family. While I hoped they were okay, I must admit I have been a bit ticked off that they seemed to have abandoned me. But now I know the truth! May they rest in peace.

So it seems, thankfully, that I am the sole heir of my Great Uncle's fortune. I assure you I am the last of his kin. I truly believe he would have wanted it this way, for me to receive every penny of his money. I was his favorite, after all. As you can well imagine, I have been unable to come forward to claim this money because I did not know of my Uncle's death, or the whereabouts of his great fortune. Now that you have contacted me, we can move forward with disbursing the funds to me. Right away.

I have booked a flight on Abidjan Air, leaving immediately this afternoon. I will arrive at your office sometime tomorrow afternoon, to collect my money. Of course, pending I do not also meet the same end as my Great Uncle!! My apologies. That was an insensitive joke. But Uncle was always one to laugh and find humor in life. Hopefully, also in death.

I prefer to receive my inheritance in suitcases of small, unmarked bills. Preferably nothing larger than a $20 bill, U.S. currency. 24 hours should be plenty of time for you to get this together. I know you have anxiously been awaiting this day, as have I. There is no need to transfer the money to my bank account. I am happy to stop by and pick it up.

Amos, I look forward to meeting you tomorrow. Do you mind if I stay with you while I'm in town? I'm afraid I don't know the area very well. I'll just be in for one night. Then off to spend my fortune!

Sincerely,
Great Uncle's Kin

The joke is on him when I don't show up! Oh, I am so clever.

C.T.

No comments: