Friday, February 28, 2003

Does Anybody Know What Time It Is?
I have no idea what time it is. Every clock I use is set to a different time, all within about 8 minutes of each other. Which one is right?

My cel phone clock matches my watch. And my watch is the time I use to set everything else that I can set. So at one point, I thought I had everything set correctly. Things were running smoothly. But lately, time has become an issue.

My alarm clock is set 5 minutes faster than my watch, to fool myself when I wake myself up in the morning into being 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Of course, I've been doing that for years. I don't think I'm really fooled anymore. I'm late to work almost everyday.

The clock in my Jeep is faster than my watch, too. But I'm not sure by how much. It came set from the factory, and I haven't gotten that far in the manual, yet. Clock setting. So, sfter running late to get out the door every morning, I give myself a heart attack everyday when I get in the Jeep and see how much later I am. I know it doesn't take 5 minutes to get from my front door to my car door, but the Jeep clock would give the impression that time literally speeds up as I walk down the stairs. By the time I get to work, my Jeep clock tells me I'm really late. But my watch tells me I'm only sort of late. So that's nice, once I get out of the Jeep and look at my watch. I feel okay being sort of late.

The clock on my computer at work is about 3 minutes faster than my watch, so I definitely go by that clock when it's time to leave at 5:00. 3 minutes faster gets me out the door 3 minutes sooner.

However, the clock on my phone on my desk is 11 minutes slow. I hate when I look at that thing and I catch the time because it totally messes up my perception of the general time of day. Especially if it's a few minutes after the hour in the real world, because the phone clock will still say there are several minutes to go to get to the hour. It's like time repeats itself because I can't do the quick math to reset my brain to the correct time. It's not an even number of minutes off. It's 11 minutes. That's just wrong.

At home, my VCR clock is 4 minutes behind my watch and the times that television shows begin at the hour or half hour. I've set and re-set that clock many times. It still seems to always be behind. So when I tape something, I have to program in an extra 4 minutes of buffer time before and after a show, to make sure I get the whole show.

The microwave clock is about 2 minutes behind my watch, but still in between the watch and the VCR. The time on the microwave really has nothing to do with its use or how my food comes out of it, so it really doesn't affect me. Although it is the last clock I see out the door every morning. And we already covered the Jeep clock issue. Maybe the microwave clock is the real problem.

The clock on my computer at home doesn't match the VCR or my watch, but I don't know if it's behind or ahead of my watch.

The bathroom clock was set to match my watch, so that after I get up in the morning according to the time on the alarm clock, the idea is that I'll stumble into the bathroom and see that the real time is actually 5 minutes earlier, and I'll be relieved and refreshed to know that it's not as late as I thought it was. Again, I don't think I fool myself. And I manage to waste that 5 minutes every morning. Somewhere.

Now, the key to everything was my watch. I don't know why the watch is the Clock Master, but that was my decision somewhere along the way. However, the last time I traveled to another time zone, being therefore forced to move my watch to the time for said time zone and back again upon returning home, the watch got messed up. It doesn't match up with anything anymore! So now the whole elaborate time system that I've adapted to is unraveled, and I have no idea what time it is.

I could reset all the clocks so that they match. But then that would ruin my whole routine throughout the day, as I come into contact with each clock. I'm not sure how I would handle seeing all the clocks on time with each other. And I still have no idea where to start with the correct time.

I just have no idea what time it is.

I don't know why people say that only time will tell. Time only tells me what time it is. Is it supposed to say something else?

C.T.

No comments: