Thursday, February 27, 2003

Angry Charity Meets for a Good Cause
The high of two unexpected days off is now followed by an extreme low of being back at work today. To top it off, the heater is broken in my section of the building, and seeing as I get frostbite when temperatures dip below 70 degrees, I am pretty much a Tyrant-cicle right now. It's proving a challenge to type with gloves on. What a fun day for me!

I saw an ad today for a charity event. It was titled 'Women Against MS Luncheon'. Now, I am not making light of the event or being cynical of the good cause these women are luncheoning to support. But isn't there a better way to say that? It sounds like a protest. Angry women having an angry lunch, to take a stand against something that did not create itself, cannot do away with itself, and generally cannot be influenced as a result of speaking out against it. Like these women will be picketing outside their luncheon, with signs saying 'Make Love, Not MS', or 'Take a Stand Against MS', hoping MS will eventually give up and go away. Again, I'm not making fun of the seriousness of the cause. Just the way they phrased the promotion of their event.

I mean, I know what they are doing. They are having a lunch to support the cause to fight MS. It is a very noble event for a worthwhile cause. But really, 'Women Against MS' makes it sound like a bunch of angry women protesting a disease, as though it is an entity capable of reform. And really, if you are not taking a luncehon stand against MS, does that mean you are for MS, supporting the disease? I hope not. I can't go to the luncheon, but I certainly am anti-MS.

Wait, maybe these women are against the MS Luncheon itself? 'Women Against MS Luncheon'. Are these women protesting another group of women luncheoning about MS? I just don't know.

Anyway, I just found their ad a little odd.

If you haven't perused my blog much, feel free to read through the archives. I need to figure out a way to list my blogs topically, rather than by date. But until I figure that out, be sure to snoop around a bit. You'll find wonderful rantings about roadkill, The Bachelor, Reality TV, nose-picking, the Grammys, and such.

As always, feel free to leave a Shout Out. Which is apparently blogish for 'comment'. You know, if you read something here and you think, 'Good heavens! That is the most prolific thing I've ever read!', or 'Good heavens! The Cynical Tyrant is a complete idiot!', or 'Good heavens! I laughed, I cried, I read it again. Where can I get more of this masterful author of the written word??' Whatever you think and want to share, feel free to do so. Please try not to make me cry.

Some people are just asking to be laughed at. But they don't usually have to ask to get me to laugh at them.

C.T.

No comments: