Friday, February 14, 2003

Welcome
Hello, and welcome to my blog. I've read a few of these lately, so I thought I'd give it a shot. So far, fairly simple. However, I've tried to make a few changes (ie: the inital misspelling of 'cynical' in my title) and I've already encountered some technical issues. I get an error message when I try to save the changes, but now it seems to have made the changes, so all is well. Phew! I pride myself on proper speeelling.

Anyway, I like to write. I can't speak for the public at large, as to whether they like to read what I write. But the fact remains, I like to write.

The title of my blog? Glad you asked. A friend of mine suggested the title 'Cynical Rantings' for a collection of some silly 'deep thought' type of things I write regularly. I do hope to publish a book or two or more someday, hopefully writing something beyond my deep thoughts. It's questionable how 'deep' my thoughts really are. But if you wander through a bookstore one day and you see a stack of 'Cynical Rantings' in the bargain bin, hopefully the book you see is one of my published works. You can say you knew me when I was just a blog.

What do I write about? Life. I know that sounds prolific and noble, but my life is nothing of the sort. It's fairly ordinary, some highs, some lows. Yet I manage to come up with some interesting perspectives. Or so I've been told. I enjoy making people laugh through writing. Or making them laugh by forcing some sort of laughter-type sound out of them while I twist their arm behind their back. Either way, I find that if I can make people laugh often with me, there is less of a chance they will be laughing at me just as often. I beat them to the punch. Sometimes with a punch, in the gut. And that makes me feel better about myself.

So what will my blog be about? In the fine tradition of Seinfeld, this will likely be a blog about nothing. But I'm okay with that. I embrace the challenge of turning nothing into a funny, or perhaps poignant something. And basically I enjoy any opportunity to ramble via the written word.

I know the 'humor as a defense mechanism' sound to what I've already written here has sent up a red flag to all the counselor and counselor wannabees who may stumble across my blog. Please don't try to find me and help me. I'm ok. Trust me, I've been through enough counseling and hard times to realize what I'm doing. Or maybe I'm just having a manic episode right now. Whatever the cause, I actually see the beauty in finding humor and laughter in places and situations where you'd think it shouldn't be. While I may come across as cynical and self-deprecating, therefore typically indicating depression or just plain mean-ness, that's part of the gimmick. I am not a sociopath. Although I am anti-social. But cheerful and perky just ain't me. I'd consider myself happy, not hating life, but making dry, sarcastic comments about it along the way. Without looking for the humor in as many situations as possible, I would not be where I am today.

So, where am I today? That's the question of the moment. Who is this Cynical Tyrant? Another question. The answers remain to be uncovered as my blog unfolds. I think I will find it hard not to blog several times a day. Yes, I have a 'day' job where I'm forced to be all day, 'working'. But fortunately I have an office with a door that closes, basically no supervision, unlimited access to the internet, and not much of a desire to do my job. It will be tempting to blog often throughout the day. I think a lot, and therefore have many random thoughts throughout the day. Since blogging doesn't come with anyone telling me to shut up or get to work, we'll see how self-disciplined I will be to not blog incessantly all the live long day.

That should do it for my first blog. I don't want to give away too much. Always leave your audience wanting more, is what they say. Or at least leave before they want more things to throw at you.

Til next time, I guess. I'll be exploring how to customize my blog. Layout, colors, graphics, etc. Can you feel the excitement?? If so, send it my way.

May your days be filled with a plethora of opportunities to laugh, be it at yourself or others.
The Cynical Tyrant

No comments: