Friday, February 21, 2003

Why is that interesting?
I've been perusing some of the many blogs that are out there. It's hard to stumble onto new blogs with the way Blogger is currently set up. Unless I'm missing some wonderful way they are listing blogs for easy finding. But sometimes I click on the blogs listed on the Blogger homepage as the '10 most recently posted blogs'. I like to see what other people are doing with their blogs. I like to read interesting, funny, thought provoking things. I'm not finding much of that.

Most blogs seem to be a diary for the person publishing the blog. Not only a diary, but a painful moment by moment recap of their day. Typically, these days seem to involve a whole lot of nothing. What they had for lunch, who they like or don't like, what class they skipped today, yada yada. Why is that interesting? Do people actually come to these blogs often to read about the drab lives of 17 year old kids who have access to the internet and can therefore inflict their teenage angst upon the world? I want people to be drawn to my blog, to come in search of wisdom, wit, and wonderful writing. I don't know that I provide that, but I want people here often in search of it. I want a fan club, basically.

Granted, I don't lead exciting days everyday of my life. In fact, most days are pretty bland. The difference is that I know people aren't interested in that, so if I'm going to write about stuff that happens in my life, I at least try to make it sound interesting, or silly, or intriguing. Or repulsive. You know how you see things that horrify you, yet you can't turn away? I'd be happy if people came here for that. Or, because I may promise huge prizes to whoever visits my blog most frequently.

I want people to want my life, even though I'm not sure I always want it. There is some truth to what I write, in that I'm inspired by what goes on around me. I have a tendency to get myself into weird situations, or observe situations in a unique way. Inner monologue is great for that. But what makes it entertaining to repeat to others, and hopefully interesting to hear or read about, is the art of embellishment. I can stretch a tale like nobody's business.

Like, meeting The Bachelor. Yes, I actually met the guy on a plane a few weeks ago. But that sentence is not interesting! I could tell the story in that one simple sentence, and nobody would care about my good fortune, or understand how cool I am that I met a reality show television star who was famous for 15 minutes. OR, I could draw it out into a long, detailed adventure, with many twists and turns, suspense, humor, sarcasm, hopes and dreams, and a hint of unbelievability. THAT makes a good story! Did everything I told in the story of my encounter with him happen just as I portrayed it? Not necessarily. Yes, I did stalk him a bit. But what's important is that it makes a good story. It does not matter that I am possibly profoundly disturbed.

So you'll notice that I haven't listed links to any other blogs, yet. It's not that I have to find blogs that are worthy of being listed on my humble page. I just want to promote good, fun, interesting, pure writing. I haven't found that, yet. I'm not even saying my blog meets that standard, so far. But before anything makes it onto my page as a suggestion to my readers to check it out, I have to believe in it and give it my approval as something worthwhile. I'm still looking. Til then, keep reading my blog. It's blog-riffic.

They say if you love someone, let him go. I say keep him close by, possibly tied up, if he's trying to escape. You might as well have him near you while he's taking time to realize he loves you.
The Cynical Tyrant

No comments: