Friday, August 24, 2007

Militant Dragonflies

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. I don't know squat about dragonflies.

But one thing I think I know is that they usually hover around water. Right? So then, what is up with what happened in my front yard this afternoon?

I was in my front yard--a reportedly pond-free, lake-free, river-free, ocean-free piece of land--when I'm suddenly confronted by a swarm of dragonflies.

And they were BIG, y'all.

There were about four of them, flying all around me. I was just minding my own business, trying to mow my yard. But they kept coming right at me.

Soon, they brought friends. The swarm grew to about 20, all of them taking turns dive-bombing my face.

I kid you not. And I did not like it.

I do not know where they came from. I do not know what they wanted from me. I do not know why they would not let me mow in peace.

My weekly yard mow is a calming time of peace and reflection for me. But this week, I quickly became angry and flustered because I was under attack the whole time.

I do not like large winged creatures flying at my face. And there is no good way to swat away a dragonfly attack.

Believe me, I tried. And I'm sure I looked fantastic in my front yard doing my Anti-Dragonfly Swatting Dance.

There are now TWO things that annoy me on mowing day:

1. The 100 yards of orange extension cord that I use for my weed whacker.
I don't know how I do it every single week, but I am tangled in that thing about 10 seconds after I uncoil it, no matter what I do. But I can usually work past this first annoyance and still find peace in the straight lines and the neat edges of a clean yard.

2. Militant Dragonflies.

I do not like Millitant Dragonflies.

C.T.

No comments: