Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Amish school zones are unecessary

I don't know of any Amish school zones anywhere near where I live. But today (while I was hard at work) I decided that the Amish don't need school zones.

Here's why.

School zones are designed to slow traffic for the safety of children making their way to school. But those horse buggies probably top out at about 4 to 5 miles an hour. So, do the Amish need to slow down to say, 2 or 3 miles an hour to keep the kids safe on the way to school? Plus school is probably across the street from home.

I think that if the kids can't outrun a buggy going 3 miles an hour, they probably should be out working the fields, anyway.

I also think that the Amish should be exempt from regular school zones. The zones around here are 20 mph. So that means that the buggies would have to actually speed up to go that fast. This could actually cause injury to the Amish, and the horses. And probably some children who are frightened by fast-moving, stampeding horse buggies.

So I say, no school zones for the Amish.

Glad we settled that.

C.T.

No comments: