Monday, January 05, 2004

Why I Shouldn't Do Math
I get intimidated by the numbers and lose all sense of the obvious.

I just spent a good portion of my afternoon (okay, at least several minutes, but it seemed like a lot longer) calculating figures and totals pertinent to where I work, related to the past year. I receive this report quarterly, and usually have to do some further mathematical functions using the incomplete data that I am given, so that I can use it for my purposes. Thus, I carefully added each column of numbers once, and then again, to make sure I had the correct number.

An hour or so later (or, now, as a matter of fact), I've discovered that these numbers that I came up with using my mathematical brilliance and genius (ie: my M&M-themed calculator) exactly match the row of numbers printed directly underneath the columns which I just added.

On one hand, my hardwork paid off with correct figures and a display of impeccable math skills (ie: no button-punching mistakes on my M&M-themed calculator). On the other hand, I just spent time adding numbers that were already added and conveniently printed on the page for me.

In my defense, those numbers have never been there on past reports, which is why I'm usually required to finish the usefulness of the report by adding the numbers myself. So in essence I was anticipating saving myself the time of looking for these numbers when I usually find they aren't there.

But then again, sometimes I just ain't so smart.

C.T.

No comments: