Thursday, January 22, 2004

Party Like it's Your Birthday . . . with a Sandwich.
Since my place of employment isn't really a 'take you out to lunch for your birthday' sort of place, I've had to take matters into my own hands.

Today is my birthday. I'm enjoying my favorite sandwich for lunch. With a Coke. And I'm loving it tremendously.

It makes turning one year older worthwhile.

Last night I had all of my favorite food groups with some friends who pulled together a somewhat surprise party. Had I not arrived at the same time two of them got there, I would have likely been more surprised to see more than one other person there. It was quite fun for me, nevertheless. Any group of people who will gather in my honor to eat pizza and watch reality TV while wearing sweatpants, these are people I love.

It was a magical evening. There was pizza, my #1 favorite food group. It fulfills all my dietary needs. Then there were chocolate chip cookies, another important food group. There is never a wrong time for chocolate chip cookies. And, M&Ms took the place of a cake, which is the best idea ever. At first, I was alarmed by the new black & white M&Ms, but I grew to love them. They taste the same. But I anxiously await the return of the colors.

Then, the best part if the evening was a guest appearance by . . . Nick & Jessica. Yes, it was a Newlyweds evening, filled with episodes from last season and the season premiere of the new season. It was the moment I'd been waiting for.

The best birthday present ever.

Who knew Nick & Jessica would be so thoughtful as to join me in celebration of my birthday and present to me the start of a brand new season of Newlyweds?

In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say reality TV was trying to impress me all week, just for my birthday. FOX came through with not one, but THREE American Idols this week. America's Next Top Model is on tape for me to watch, off to a great new season (technically starting last week, but my birthday celebrations seem to have started last week, too. so it counts as a birthday present for me.)

And finally, Nick & Jessica. Always there when I need something stupid, yet strangely familiar.

This week was also the premier of My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance. Being unable to change the channel after American Idol on Monday night while I was in the middle of a craft project (people who don't understand this just need to understand that when I am in 'craft mode', ain't no stopping til I'm done. I have to remain very, very focused, even in the midst of bad TV), I was forced to witness some of this show. And you will all be relieved to know that I will NOT be adding this to my wonderful world of reality television. Folks, this show is too bad even for me to watch.

It's that bad.

Good friends, good TV, good sandwich.

Happy birthday to me.

C.T.

No comments: