Saturday, July 30, 2005

Thrift Store Day
Today was thrift store shopping day with Friend Chuy. It's a magical day filled with bargains and bizarre-ities. It was a good day.

We started the day with a Starbucks run. I tried the Green Tea Frappuccino, and after several sips, I gave it the seal of approval. It is good. The best part? It is green.

The rest of the day was a tour of various thrift stores in the area, on the hunt for nothing in particular, but wanting to pay next to nothing for it when we found it.

I did make one stipulation that by the end of the day we had each pieced together one outfit to wear to church tomorrow night.

After a day of thrift store shopping, I am now declaring Friend Chuy and I variable thrift store connoisseurs. I will rate the stores we visited, starting with the best:

1. Goodwill Dallas
This also happened to be our first stop. Recently rebuilt after a fire, this store is in tip-top shape. It doesn't even smell like a thrift store. Here I was able to find some good clothing bargains, and it was an overall pleasant shopping experience.

2. Buffalo Exchange
This is a pricier thrift store, but full of wonderful things, nonetheless. They have a great selection of fun, worn t-shirts, which we all know is an obsession of mine. Friend Chuy brought some clothes in to exchange, and we spent a whole lot of time in this store. I think I looked at every item of clothing in the store. But, I found a true treasure- a vintage and very worn, but very cool Coca-Cola t-shirt. It wasn't worth what it was marked, but Friend Chuy insisted that I try it on, which only made me fall in love with it. She then donated her store credit to the purchase of this must-have item, and we all lived happily ever after. Especially after I bought her lunch to show my gratitude immediately following the Exchange.

3. Ahab Bowen
This place was recommended by Friend Starbucks Guy This Morning while we waited for our Starbucks this morning. He drew us a map and everything. While the place did have some interesting finds, and was definitely more "vintage" than simply thrift or resale, we found things to be over-priced (especially the t-shirts), and we never even found t-shirts in sizes comparable to people who might not be large men. It was a fun shop, though. Cute house. Would be good for costuming, come Halloween. No purchases made here.

4. Salvation Army
This was a last ditch effort for Friend Chuy to be able to piece together an outfit to wear to church tomorrow night. This place was nuts, due to a furniture sale. They had some good furniture, which would draw me back to the store. But as for clothing, good t-shirts were nearly impossible to find, and we only came across a few. None worth purchasing. We left empty handed.

All-in-all, a good thrift store day. I'm up for this again anytime, so holla if your up for some thrift. There are more places to go, I just need to find them. And these are worth visiting again.

Turner Family Reunion, '92!

I'm exhausted.

C.T.

No comments: