Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Run, Tyrant, Run
Last week I bought new running shoes.

I don't run.

Needless to say, this was quite an ordeal for me. As always. I buy running shoes maybe once a year. In this case, it has been two years since I've bought running shoes. And, as per my routine, I usually wait until Tax Free Weekend, which is a glorious holiday here in Texas during August. For this weekend, all stores do away with sales tax on things that would apply to school, such as clothes. It's the greatest holiday of our time.

But this year, after having worn my current pair of running shoes all over Southeast Asia (not running, mind you. But walking a whole lot), I decided the new shoes could not wait until Tax Free Weekend. Why I'm in such a hurry, I don't know.

I don't run.

So, last week I went out everyday during lunch to try on shoes. I hit all of the stores that sell New Balance running shoes at good prices. I may be crazy enough to rock my routine by not waiting until Tax Free Weekend. But I am NOT crazy enough to step outside of the New Balance shoes I've grown to know and love. I always buy New Balance. I love them.

I don't run.

Finally, Friday I made the purchase. But here is the interesting thing. Throughout the week of trying on shoes, I noticed that the size 9.5 shoes just seemed too small. Too short. Not to fit well.

I've worn size 9.5 running shoes for many years. It's a science. I need new running shoes, I go to store that sells New Balance shoes at good prices, I pick a few 9.5 shoes that I think look good, and I pick the ones that fit my mood of the day. They are always 9.5.

I don't run. It doesn't really matter if they will work well for running. They just need to look good and fit.

But this year, ALL of the 9.5 shoes were just wrong. I had to.... go up to a size 10.

Oh my goodness... flashbacks to junior high...

I have not worn size 10 athletic shoes since 6th grade, during which time my basketball high-tops were a gigantic size 10. The team called them The Clodhoppers. My feet were way larger than I was. It was all out of proportion. My feet would tend to get wherever I was headed before I did. What followed would be much clumsiness, tripping over things, general balance mayhem. It was terribly awkward. It was great.

Now, at the ripe young age of 29, are my feet having a growth spurt? Will I also be getting taller? I'm already pretty tall. And my feet are already pretty big. I could do without a growth spurt.

Nevertheless, my new running shoes are a size 10. My first size 10 since 6th grade.

Freakish.

C.T.

No comments: