Thursday, July 28, 2005

Valued Employee
So, I've been at my job for a year. Actually, while I was in Cambodia a few weeks ago, that was my year anniversary.

We celebrated by me having this conversation with Friends A and C:

CT: "Hey, today is my one year anniversary at my job. Yay, Tyrant!"
Friends A and C: " "

They didn't have to say anything. Words can't really express the sentiment of being proud of a friend who has kept a job for a whole year.

Anyway, today my boss scheduled my yearly review. He worked all morning preparing for my review. He never works all morning on anything, so this meant it had to be really good. I'm sure he was making a really long list of good things to say about me, and adding up a really long row of numbers that will be the raise in my salary.

And really, the only thing that stood in the way of all this rave reviewing of me and my job was that. . . . MY BOSS FORGOT TO INVITE ME TO MY OWN REVIEW!!!

Yep.

He scheduled it with himself, put it on his own calendar. He spent the morning preparing for it. Then when lunch time came and he came looking for me to have the review, I was gone to lunch with my co-workers for ethnic lunch day.

Yeah, I had no idea he had scheduled it until after I got back and he told me, and then my co-workers told me, and then we all proceeded to give him a really hard time about it. It was awesome.

I hope he includes in my review that I do a good job of keeping him on task, because that's a large part of my job, and clearly when he leaves it up to himself to schedule things, um, things get forgotten.

Anyway, the review will happen tomorrow. It is on both my calendar and his.

I wonder if I can play this up for a better raise, or if I'm completely screwed because clearly I'm not memorable enough for him to remember to make sure I'm at the review that is all about me ....

C.T.

No comments: