Tuesday, July 19, 2005

More love for television
Even during summer when I feared the worst for television programming, today I have discovered three beacons of light amidst the darkness of summer television.

Beacon of Light #1
In speaking with some co-workers over the past week, I've been informed that the Game Show Network has started re-running The Amazing Race, starting with Season 1. Apparently it is on every night. While I was happy to hear this, and happy for my co-workers who can afford the cable to get The Game Show Network, a little piece of me died upon hearing this news, for I, too, would greatly enjoy re-watching every episode of The Amazing Race throughout the summer. But I am too poor to afford fancy cable.

It is the most amazing game show ever.

But, upon further conversation today with one co-worker, he mentioned that he only gets basic cable, paying around $12.00 a month for it. Yet, he gets the Game Show Network, and has been watching The Amazing Race reruns every night. Um, I, too, have basic $12 cable. Yet, I was unware that I get the Game Show Network.

I wrote it down on a post-it note (which means it is a top priority issue) as a reminder to check into this very serious situation. If I am paying $12 for cable that includes 57 home shopping channels, 13 spanish channels, 4 weather channels, 87 local cable access channeles containing way too many nuns than should be allowed on the airwaves, the NASA channel, and 1 Game Show Network, I will insist on getting this Game Show Network so that I am not deprived of my TAR reruns!

I can't handle anymore nuns on tv. Unless they are flying.

The first thing I did when I got home tonight was turn on my t.v. I punched in the numbers 5 and 2 on my remote (because my co-worker told me this was the channel for the Game Show Network), and there it was. In all it's glory. An episode from season 1 of The Amazing Race!

I GET THE GAMESHOW NETWORK!!! WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME THIS BEFORE!!!!

Two years I have lived in this house. Two years I have paid $12 a month for Telemundo. I have missed two years of valuable Game Show Network television programming.

I have a lot of catching up to do.

Beacon of Light #2
After TAR rerun went off, my next discovery came on the Game Show Network (GSN). It is genius. And I am considering lobbying my softball team to abandon our softball roots, and instead regroup as..... Extreme Dodgeball.



Yes, people. I was delighted to get to watch my very first episode of Extreme Dodgeball. If you haven't watched this before, you have to watch it. It seems to be for real, as in, an actual sport. And as if that wasn't good enough on it's own, who did I see playing on the L.A. team? None other than A.C. Slater of Saved By The Bell.






















No kidding!

Even this article calls Extreme Dodgball the "new softball." My softball team is having a rough few seasons. We might be better off as a dodgeball team. At least we'd get to be on t.v.

Beacon of Light #3
The final thing I found on my television tonight (who knew Tuesday night in the middle of the summer could be such a great night for t.v.?) was..... Rockstar: INXS.

Oh. My. Goodness.

People, this show is actually good. I had my reservations about it. Because, seriously. INXS using a reality show to find a new lead singer? It's just lame.

But, these people can actually sing. I mean, I hate to say it. But American Idol has nothing on these rockstar people. (I hope the Idol can forgive me)

The best part is how often they use the word "rock" in sentences. Much like everyone on TAR calls everyone else "baby". Everything on Rockstar either rocks, or it doesn't rock.

"Hey, you really rocked that performance tonight."
"Really? I wasn't sure I quite rocked it. But my pants rock. They have sequins."
"Dude, this cereal rocks."
"Man, I was just rockin' over there in that chair, and then I dozed off, but totally rocked a nap. Turns out it was a rocking chair. Put me right to sleep."

It's like if these people don't rock everything, they lose the will to live, and the ability to function.

Also important on the show and in performance is to show a lot of upper torso skin. For the guys, it's generally to go shirtless, but to wear a vest, or necktie, or at least unbutton every button on your shirt except for one button.



















For the girls, it's generally to wear nothing more than a bedazzled bra, or at least something sleeveless to show off your 108 arm tattoos.















At any rate, I am highly entertained by this show. And I am so far not annoyed at seeing Dave Navarro in a variety of feather boas.



It will be the epitome of entertainment to watch the old farts of INXS (who are the "judges" on the show) end up with some young, screamy, shirtless squirt as their new lead singer.











So, to review:
1. TAR reruns on the Game Show Network = genius
2. Extreme Dodgeball on the Game Show Network = genius
3. Rockstar: INXS on CBS = genius

It' s been a good night.

C.T.

No comments: