Monday, July 18, 2005

Genius Beverages
I've discovered my new favorite place to get a beverage during the day. Typically, I'm a diehard fan of the Sonic Vanilla Coke. Folks, it just doesn't get much better than that, as far as cola in a cup. But, Sonic isn't always convenient. And it's not the cheapest drink around.

I also dearly love a good 7-Eleven Coke Slurpee. But again, surprisingly 7-Elevens are not as convenient as one would think. And not nearly as convenient or numerous as they were in Bangkok. There, we found 7-Elevens across the street from other 7-Elevens. They certainly do love their 7-Elevens there.

But lately I've been drawn to the Quik Trip. And I have to say that this place is SO genius that it overrides my annoyance of places that are named by incorrectly spelling the name of the place on purpose (ie: "quik" or "kwik kar"). Folks, it's that good.

This particular Quik Trip is especially genius because it is located in Iowa.










My reasons of love for the Quik Trip are severalfold:

1. There is one located less than one minute from my office.
Therefore, convenience is the first genius characteristic of the Quik Trip. They are everywhere. It is usually on my way back to work from any errand I may run during lunch. And if it's not really on the way back, I can make it be on the way back. It's that close.

2. Drinks are super cheap.
For awhile they were running Cheap Drink Summer. A 32 oz. beverage was a mere 59 cents, 64 cents total with tax. Any time I found loose change in the Jeep, I could justify a trip to the Quik Trip. Because what else is loose change good for, but for a 32 oz. tasty beverage? Even not on sale, this drink runs a mere 79 cents, 87 cents with tax. Less than one dollar. It's beautiful.

3. They provide the largest fountain drink selection I have ever seen in my life.
If you want to keep it simple, you can. They have the standards: Coke, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc. BUT, they also have the fancies: Diet Coke WITH lime, Coke WITH lemon, etc. Right there in the fountain! They even have beverages I've never heard of. PLUS (and this is the super genius part), they have ADD-INS, for no extra cost.

Folks, you can stop in to a Quik Trip and make your own vanilla Coke, to taste. Yep. Fill your cup with Coke, then slide over to the Vanilla dispenser, and squirt in as much vanilla as your heart desires. It might be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

In fact, you can mix up whatever beverage you want. Go down the row and put in a squirt of everything they have. It will likely make you throw up, but it will only cost you 87 cents!

Plus, the guys who work there are super nice. Not of the Kwiky Mart Apu variety. But I think they know I'm hooked. I'm in there all the time. I've spent a fortune on these cheap beverages. They greet me as though I matter to them, every time I stop in for a visit. I'm almost tempted to get a part-time job there, just because I feel so at home there every time I visit.

Here's to you, Quik Trip. Provider of delicious, and cheap beverages, conveniently, friendly.

Check it out.

C.T.

No comments: