Wednesday, October 29, 2003

What We Learned as Youngsters
My thoughts were provoked by someone last night who had an interesting, and somewhat silly thought about the things we are taught in life. He noticed I have an old school desk from my elementary school in my house now. As kids, we always had a time during the day when our teachers would tell us to put our heads down on our desks, either for a nap, or when we'd finish our work. The teachers told us to do it. So, we did it. Put our heads right down. It's what we were supposed to do.

But, when we got older and into highschool and college, it was frowned upon to put your head down on your desk and snooze for a bit. So, what is up with that? As youngsters we are trained by our teachers that our desks are there for us to lay our heads down on for a nap. But when we get older and we continue to do what we've been conditioned to do in our early years by the authority figures in our lives, we are then breaking the rules, rewarded with punishment for napping in class. No wonder as adults most of us are so messed up and unsure about who to listen to, and what is right or wrong.

As an adult, I still find myself wanting to put my head down on my desk in my office to take a wee nap in the afternoons.

I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon, but I feel like I can justifiably blame my teachers if I ever get caught.

C.T.

No comments: