Monday, October 13, 2003

Adventures in Wedding
Now that I think about it, the 'wedding' part of the wedding trip I took on Saturday was really a very small part of the adventure.

I love occassions when you are with all the right people to make whatever you are doing a nearly perfect day. Everyone gets along, everyone is fun for everyone else, we all look out for each other, and things just seem to go smoothly.

Well, there is a certain amount of chaos. But it's all in good fun. I would expect nothing less.

A bunch of us planned a road trip to a wedding, so we convened to caravan for the three hour trip. Five cars, simple enough. Even though we left forty-five minutes later than we planned, we actually planned for that. We know us well enough to plan a lot of extra time.

I was put in the lead, and approximately thirty seconds after we left the parking lot, we managed to lose everyone in the caravan. So, I pulled into a parking lot to figure out what happened to everyone. My mom doesn't call me a 'mother hen' for no reason. I take very seriously making sure everyone is okay and where they are supposed to be, keeping my 'chickens' all in order. Or in this case, rogue wedding attenders driving amok from the get-go. I do not leave a chicken behind!

We finally located everyone and continued on our way. As some of us were already dressed for wedding (you can bet if I'm dressing up enough to be in a skirt and fabulous top, I'm going to wear the heck out of it), yet some of us were not dressed for wedding, we had to take over a Wendy's bathroom once we were in range of the wedding location. Aaaah. There is nothing I love more than a greasy burger and a Wendy's changing party before a wedding.

The wedding was great. True love, a gazillion bridesmaids and groomsmen, lots of people we didn't know. Good times.

Reception, much the same. Although the large contingency of us dressed so nicely (as this is out of the ordinary for our particular clan) seemed to put us at the center of attention for much of the reception. We were very photogenic, apparently, as we seemed to attract many people with cameras as we congregated in one spot. Until the bride and groom arrived, of course. They totally stole our thunder.

Cake, reception festivities, bride and groom away in a carriage. And now the adventure was only half over.

We piled back into our respective cars to caravan home, with plans to stop midway at a much talked about mexican restaurant a little out of our way. I was assured it was only a little out of our way, and was promised that it was Mexican food not to be missed. Can't beat that, can you?

Of course, as it grew dark outside, and as we continued to drive with no mariachi band in sight, the adventure was less fun for a bit. Hungry, tired, weary of driving, we turned off the main highway and headed south, with promises of food nearby.

I am fairly certain we drove so far south that we were well into Mexico before we finally found the restaurant, but once I had a few fajitas, followed by free sopapias, I was in good shape. Well worth the drive.

Of course, the return trip was now a bit longer, but I was annoyed into driving faster to get home quicker by the sounds of Justin Timberlake crying me a river while he rocked his body. That is one annoying CD.

And it did the trick.

We made it home safe and sound, and in safe record time.

And we were still all friends afterwards. A nearly perfect day.

Completely perfect, only had it been my own wedding.

C.T.

No comments: