Monday, October 06, 2003

Photographs
I have a picture on display in my house. It's on a shelf where I can see it fairly often. It's a picture of me with a friend of mine, a friend who I used to be really close to, but not so much anymore.

It's a great picture, taken at a fun time. Happy memories, and a great friend. Someone who was instrumental in helping me through a difficult time. A picture I was proud of, because I was proud of the friendship.

But it's painful sometimes to look at the picture. It reminds me of something and someone I miss. In fact, shortly after the picture was taken, our friendship changed and it's been a bumpy road every since.

So why do I keep the picture if it doesn't mean what it did when it was taken? Why keep it where I can see it if it's painful to see? Why not put it away, in a box with other pictures of people I don't hang with much anymore?

Well, because even though I don't have that relationship as something I can count on or even truly enjoy anymore, and even though it's hard to look at the picture and the passing friendship sometimes, it's also a reminder of good. It's a reminder that people are good at the right times, and times can be good when it doesn't seem possible. And even if people come and go, there is great value in what they brought to my life at the time, even if I only had it for a short time and even if it may not have been what it seemed then. They were still there for a reason.

Even if I miss it now, and it doesn't make sense.

The picture is good.

C.T.

No comments: