Thursday, October 09, 2003

Inspiration
There is a man who comes to the homeless shelter where I work every week. He's a volunteer who has come here longer than I've worked here. He's an elderly man, frail to look at, but always in good spirits and definitely stronger than he looks, so I've learned.

This man plays the piano for our Thursday morning chapel services. Every week, there he is, leading the group of homeless people and staff in song. You almost don't notice him hidden behind the piano until you hear the notes coming from that direction. He never says much, but is always there on time, twinkle in his eye, looking his best in a full suit and tie, ready to play. He's by far the best dressed person in the building, but not in the sense that he's proud to wear nice clothes. He's just an old man who is used to wearing a suit and tie for church.

A few months ago his wife had a stroke, and she was in the hospital on life support since then. He never said much about it except to stand up one week and timidly ask for our prayers for himself and his wife's health. They've been married a long time.

Even during the months that his wife was under hospital care, here he was every week, playing the piano, in his suit and tie, twinkle in his eye. Just like always.

I've been here almost two years and I can remember him missing only two weeks in that entire time. He doesn't have to be here, but he is always here, faithfully, without complaint or excuse. He missed one time because he was sick.

And, he missed last week because his wife passed away the night before.

Today, he was back. I didn't think we'd see him so soon, but I should have known better. He buried his wife on Saturday, and today he joined us again for chapel. He didn't play piano this morning, but he came to sit and share in the chapel service, like he always does. Faithfully.

I come to work here everyday because I have to, and most days I can't say I enjoy being here. But seeing this man's dedication and his servant's heart to be here for these homeless men every week without question, even when he is losing a loved one, reminds me that my heart could use an adjustment sometimes.

I'm inspired by that.

C.T.

No comments: