Sunday, December 30, 2007

I'm considering an eye patch.

So, the latest on my newly-LASIKed eyeballs is that the left eye is doing great, but the right eye seems to have decided to stay semi-blurry.

My last follow-up appointment yielded the news that they will have to "touch up" my right eye after all. Not because the surgery went wrong, but because with eyes as bad as mine were, sometimes it takes a second surgery to get to 20/20 vision.

Now, in my opinion, calling this a "touch up" is very misleading. I touch up my make-up. I touch up the paint on that table I painted. I touch up the paint on my toenails when I get a chip. In these instances, "touching up" means just a wee dab to fix a blemish.

But to "touch up" my eyeball means they have to do the surgery again on my right eye. They don't just dab it. They cut the flap and laser it again.

But whatever it takes to get my eyeballs in tip-top sight shape, I will do it. It is, after all, guaranteed.

In the meantime, however, I am considering an eye patch.

I can see generally fine, and all things considered, I'm happy with the progress since the surgery and I know that my eyes are still adjusting and they will continue to get better. It's great not having to fuss with contacts, and it's pretty cool to wake up and be able to see.

But my depth perception is a bit wonky, since my eyeballs are not seeing evenly and all that. The long-distance seeing of things is pretty fuzzy, especially at night. I'm pretty much an old lady shut-in when the sun goes down. I don't like to drive at night.

Plus my right eyeball gets pretty tired and hurty pretty quickly from straining to see as well as the left eyeball, especially staring at my computer all day.

Why, you might ask, should I draw attention to my handicapped eyeball? Well, the answer is simple. If I have to deal with a crazy eyeball that, quite frankly, makes me even more clumsy than I am on a normal day, I might as well make it obvious to the world that I have an eye problem.

Plus, the eye patch would give the right eyeball a rest from trying to see more than it is able to see just yet.

However, my research today on eye patches has revealed to me that I apparently have to also get a nose-ring, tattoo, and a parrot.


I'm fine with that, by the way.

C.T.

No comments: