Monday, December 31, 2007

Acoustic Bliss

I'm a fan of things that sound good.

I'm also a fan of delicious flavor, but that's another story for another day.

Having lived a lifetime of eyes that don't work so good, I like to think my sense of hearing has been heightened due to my ridiculous partial blindness.

  • I can hear most anything, even things that other folks don't (or can't) hear.
  • I'm really good at hearing things I'm probably not supposed to hear (ie: through walls, around corners, far away, and even whispers . . . and often even just thoughts . . .).
  • I've got an ear for music: good pitch, good balance, deep bass, full middles, and crisp highs. If something is out of tune, I will likely be the first to tell you (probably first by the pained look on my face).
As such, I am very particular about sound: speakers, earphones, you name it. I just can't listen to things that sound bad.

I stuck with the lame headphones that came with my ipod for almost a year, mostly based on principle. I don't like to waste things, so I decided I would wait until those earphones were worn out before I considered purchasing better earphones.

Today, my new earphones arrived. And I immediately put them through a rigorous sound test before I decided that I have made a good purchase.

Also, I think it is gross to return earphones after they have been tested. So, I am glad these seem to have the potential to work out well. Because I probably would have kept them anyway, plus ordered new ones if they sucked.

My test is simple, yet thorough. I listen through a wide sampling of everything on my ipod that represents all of the ranges of music that tests every aspect of sound possibilities through the earphones. This includes:
  • Sara Bareilles (a new favorite. If I can't sing along to satisfactory sound, it's not even worth moving to the next music sampling on the list)
  • Maroon 5
  • Rilo Kiley
  • Avril Lavigne
  • Daughtry
  • Suzie McNeill
  • Justin Timberlake (especially important for good bass)
  • Fergie/Black Eyed Peas (also important for good bass)
  • Evanescence
  • Word What What, and World Funk (from the CD I made of my sister's song last year)
  • U2 (particularly Elevation)
  • Michael Jackson
  • Mariah Carey
  • Sheryl Crow
These are the basics, with a few other random selections mixed in, depending on what mood I'm in.

Then, comes the big finale: selected works from The Phantom of the Opera.

If the Phantom sounds like a Phantom should sound, then these earphones pass the test.

And, they did.

V-moda moda-phones. Reasonably priced, sound good, fit my ears (they come with those squishy size fitting options to pick from). Plus, they blocked out the sound of the TV while I did my testing.

I've had them for about 2 hours, but so far, I recommend.

Of course, there are more expensive earphones out there that I'm sure sound better. But, quite frankly, I don't want to spend that much money. I also want new shoes and some jeans that fit.

C.T.

No comments: