Monday, December 03, 2007

$50.91

Yesterday, I spent exactly $50.91 on food at the grocery store. This is a wonderful thing.

If you spend $50 on groceries, you get 10 cents off per gallon of gas the next time I fill up the Jeep. This, you see, is pretty much a goldmine, in my book.

You should know by now that I hate gas prices. I like gas. I hate paying for it. Especially paying a LOT for it.

Obviously, the catch to this 10 cents off deal is that you have to spend $50 to get it. This obviously makes people, more often than not, spend at least $50 in the store.

Why not? It's like free gas, people.

But, quite frankly, I don't always need $50 worth of stuff at the grocery store as often as I need gas in my car.

So, if I know I don't need $50 worth of stuff, I'll focus on buying as little as possible. I don't want to even get close to $50 if I can't go ahead and spend $50 to get that 10 cents worth of gas.

But, if I'm pretty sure I can spend $50, I'll go ahead and make sure that I do. However, I'll try to keep it as close to just $50 as possible.

I don't want to spend $75 and still only get the $10 cent benefit that I get for spending just $50.

So, I was pretty excited when everything that I collected in my cart yesterday added up to $50.91.

I mean, that's pretty much geniusly accurate.

It was a lucky combination of salad stuff, Hot Pockets, cheese, salsa, chips, tiny oranges, and Fig Newtons.

The final touch? Two packs of Orbit gum.

Without those two packs I would have landed at $49-something.

I didn't even plan it to be that close, y'all. It was just meant to be.

C.T.

No comments: