Sunday, December 16, 2007

(Almost) No Soup For You!

I had the brilliant plan today to make my mom's homemade soup. The brilliance of this plan is that one of those vats of soup will last me all the livelong week.

Genius.

I also had the brilliant plan today to start getting rid of the 108 million pounds of leaves all over my yard.

The problem with the brilliance of both of these plans is that I tried to do them both at once.

Not genius.

To start the soup, you have to boil a soup bone for an hour and a half. No need to stand around and watch that. So I figured I'd get it started, then go scoop up some leaves, then after an hour and a half I'd come back and finish the soup, then let it simmer for a few hours while I did some more leaves.

So, I started the bone a boilin'. No problem.

Went out and cleaned up leaves in the front yard using my dad's leaf sucker thingie (also genius). Sucks, mulches, bags - all at once.

An hour and a half later, I go back inside to check on the soup bone and it turns out that I must not have put enough water in there with it because it was pretty much burned to the bottom of the pan.

Dang. My plan was RUINED.

So, I had to go get another soup bone. See, once I get it in my head that I want something to eat, I pretty much have to eat that something. Nothing else sounds good. And I had all of the other soup stuff.

I WANT SOUP.

But, then there was another problem: a lack of another soup bone.

Super Target - does not carry soup bones. What???
Tom Thumb #1 - apparently I bought the last soup bone there earler today because there weren't any more soup bones.

I had to find a second Tom Thumb, then ask the guy behind the meat counter if he could pretty please find a soup bone for me.

He found one. It was frozen.

Forty-five minutes later, I get back home. I thaw the soup bone. I clean out the previous soup bone attempt. And I get the second soup bone going.

I dump a whole lot of water in there this time.

Fortunately, this time it all worked out fine. I did a few more leaves, but not as many as I wanted to (by this point it's starting to get dark outside).

And by my calculations, my soup should be ready to eat by about 8 or 9:00 tonight.

I'm just glad that I'll have soup. I hate to think what would have happened if there had been no soup for me.

Next!

C.T.

1 comment:

Roberta S said...

CT, bless you for your determination, but I shouldn't have read this. Now I want soup -- bad.