Wednesday, March 31, 2004

The Tyrant's First Amendment
In all my year of blogging, I have never had to retract or amend any of my blog entries. I take great pride in accurately reporting and re-telling details with the utmost of integrity. And snark.

So in maintaining my high level of ethical writing standards, I must retract one of my own statements made in a blog entry from last week. A mistake has come to my attention, through all fault of my own. Please join me in the following tale of my own stupidity and very, very poor memory.

I wrote last week about airport postcards, making the blatant (and what I thought at the time to be accurate) observation that there are no postcards of the insides of airports. In fact, I was enamored at the fact that since we spend most of our time at airports inside the airport, there should be postcards of the insides of airports, rather than of the outsides, which we often never get to see.

During my trip to Pittsburgh last week, I purchased some airport postcards to send to a couple of my friends (apologies to friends who did not receive postcards this time, yet were hoping for an airport postcard- I'll get you next time), as this is really funny to me. I purchased two varieties of postcards of the airport, so that the chosen lucky recipients among my friends would not all receive the same card. I discovered I could afford three postcards, as I am poor. I then paid for the postcards and went on my merry way to wait another two hours for my plane to leave.

The next day I put addresses and stamps on two of the cards and sent them on their way in the mail. The third card, however, could not be mailed as I did not have the address for it, yet. A strange oversight, as I know where my friend lives, but apparently had never bothered to write it down in mailing-type format.

Last night, I received the address, and even though it has since been a week since I was in Pittsburgh, I thought it would still be funny to mail the postcard, since she knew I'd bought postcards and sent them to other friends, but she had not received one, yet. I dug out the postcard, wrote her address on it, and then turned it over to look at the picture on the front.

There, before my very eyes, was a picture of the inside of the Pittsburgh airport.

Huh. Well look at that.

It seems that I bought this postcard of the inside of the airport, arrived home, blogged about how I've never seen a postcard with a picture of the inside of the airport (completely forgetting that I'd just bought such a postcard the day before), and then re-discovered the postcard and its picture of the inside of the airport a week later.

Not only that, I realized that last night's postcard was the same as one of the postcards I sent last week, and this was the postcard of the inside of the airport. So essentially I sent a postcard of an airport inside before I wrote about never finding any postcards of airport insides.

Therefore, I would like to amend my statement that there aren't any pictures of the insides of airports to now say that there aren't enough postcards of the insides of airports.

Clearly if there were more of these airport inside postcards, I would sooner remember having seen and purchased them.

C.T.

No comments: