Monday, March 15, 2004

The Guttentag After
The morning after vacation is about the worst thing in the world. I believe all vacations should come with a week of after-vacation, to recover from the affects of vacation.

It feels strange to be back at the blog today. It was strange to be away from it for so long. But now it's strange to gather my thoughts and return to the familiarity of my day-to-day existence.

So until I get myself together, here are a few highlights from a fun-filled trip through Germany:

- Berlin.
- Walking all over history.
- Museum-a-thon.
- Witnessing karaoke at the Hard Rock in Berlin.
- Lunch: Sausage protruding from a small piece of bread, purchased from a guy on the street. Possibly the best thing I ate throughout Germany. Don't ruin it for me by pointing out that I purchased un-named sausage from a guy on the street. . . more than once.
- More walking. More walking than I've ever walked before.
- Blowing my nose from my cold and the outside cold, more times than a nose should ever be blown in the history of having a nose.
- Cold. Snow. Rain. Cold. Snow. Rain. Cold. Snow.
- Buchenwald concentration camp in a blizzard.
- Coffee in cute cafes.
- Competing dollar stores. Even in euros, it's still a dollar store.
- Hostel life.
- Beethoven's pink house in Bonn.
- Trains and buses that seemed safe until we read about what happened in Madrid while standing in a train station.
- Not getting lost (despite what my traveling co-hort may tell you). I had the map.
- Worst shopping experience ever in the city that was promised to contain the best shopping experience ever- Frankfurt.
- Frankfurt airport: hands down worst airport ever.

To sum up, two thumbs up to Germany. Good times. Good people. Good food. Good vacation.

Good golly, I wish I was still there.

C.T.

No comments: