Thursday, March 25, 2004

Finales and Flukes
I would first like to address the season finale of America's Next Top Model. After many weeks of crying and drama, and crying, and crying, the winner emerged as Yoanna, the tripping young face of perfection who can't walk or show off her mid-section. I say that only after hearing the judges deliberate and point out all of these flaws themselves, yet awarded her as the winner. I liked Yoanna from the beginning. I'm glad she won.

However, it was heartbreaking to see Lupus Mercedes not win. I liked her, too. And it was sad to send Cheating Shandi home in third place. I often feel like I'm a Walgreens girl trapped in the body of a nerd who aspires to be a Walgreens girl. So Shandi's transformation gives me hope that I, too, could one day be America's Third Place Next Not Quite Top Model.

Congrats to Yoanna. May she have as much success as Adrienne from last year's ANTM, who I hear has a fabulous modeling career somewhere in the jungles of South Africa.

Now, onto the fluke of this week's American Idol. I missed the show on Tuesday night. But even knowing nothing about the performances other than the brief recap during the results show last night, I can tell you that a mistake was made in sending Matt home in lieu of Camille. My Alliance partner is absolutely right. Camille needs to go before she becomes a Hawaiian version of Carmen Rasmussen. This just cannot happen. She must go because she cannot sing. Camille is our target for next week.

I will miss Matt. He wasn't the greatest singer, but I am slightly in love with his personality. And major props to him for singing his loser good-bye song straight to Simon. That was awesome. I hope they bring him back to do that at the end of the show every week.

I do have to comment on the Love Shack video, and implore the producers of American Idol to lay off the cheesy videos, for the sake of the kids in these poor videos. Sure, they are good for a laugh. But I was a Film major in college. And it just so happens that I have my very own Love Shack music video, produced for a class project, partially designed and performed by my own self. I can assure you, my no-talent video is 108,000 times better than the professional FOX video created for last night's show, costing money that I will likely never see in my lifetime. Our budget for Love Shack was the cost of the video tape and dinner at Wendy's, and much less embarrassment than these kids should be experiencing at the hand of FOX music videos.

Ok, my embarrassment is saved by the fact that I don't show the video to anyone. But still, you get my point. Do not besmirch the good name of Love Shack by an inferior cheesy video.

I rest my case. And Camille must go.

C.T.

No comments: