Friday, July 18, 2003

My Great American Novel
I've realized just recently that if I take everything I've written on this blog since I started in February, put it together in some sort of order, I'd have enough for a novel. Not that it would necessarily flow or make sense or go together in any way. In fact, it would be a really bad novel of the highest level of badness. But the volume of my collected works would likely equal a decent sized novel. The writing I do everyday has gotten me in a good habit to get serious about writing. I've proven to myself that I could actually write enough to come up with a book someday.

When I first started this blog it was mainly an exercise for myself in writing, to get myself in the habit of writing daily, or at least most days of the week. In lieu of going back to school to study writing, I decided on a Poor Woman's Non-Masters Program for the Enhancement of Writing. It is something I've created completely on my own, and I make it up as I go along. I could either pay money to go to school and have professors give me assignments to develop my skills, or I could give assignments to myself, for free, and write about things I actually enjoy. Even if I have nothing much to say, my goal is to get something down on 'paper' everyday. The topic can be whatever pops into my head that is of interest to me, or at least gives me some sort of springboard to get a few sentences down.

I figured if I want to pursue writing as a real, hopefully money-making gig in the future, I'd better get used to doing it on a regular basis. After sticking with it consistently for awhile, I would know if I actually like this writing thing or not. I'd know if I'm any good at it. And it wouldn't cost me anything except the time I spend thinking and creating and writing.

Well, I've found that I do like it. A lot. And I'm not too bad at it. People don't run screaming from my blog, so I take that as a good sign. Sure, I'm by no means a 'professional'. But I like to think I've at least found my voice and a place to start, with more to learn as I go. I look forward to blogging everyday. It's not something I have to make myself do everyday. I enjoy the habit. I really think if my only job was to sit and write everyday, I'd be happy. At this point, I can't think of a job I'd like more than a writing gig.

So, while I clearly haven't blogged the Great American Novel, and I may never do that, per say, I will begin focusing more attention on how I can make this writing thing pay off. Surely there is a writing career out there for me somewhere. You people get to read my great literary works here online everyday, for free. But alas, it does not pay my bills.

Hopefully I will not get lost in the sea of faceless aspiring writers, and one day you can pay $11.95 at Barnes and Noble for a paperback version of my Semi-Great American Collected Works.

C.T.

No comments: