Thursday, July 24, 2003

Homeowner's First Year
You know how you make a scrapbook of your baby's first year? It should also be tradition to make a scrapbook of your first year as a homeowner. There are so many 'firsts' that are different from just renting an apartment, and 'firsts' that won't be true 'firsts' in a future home. The whole extravaganza should really be captured for the memories. I feel like going around to each 'first' and taking a picture, to preserve the moment.

For instance, I watered my lawn last night for the first time ever. It's the first lawn I've ever owned. So it was my very first watering experience. It was quite an adventure hooking up the sprinkler to the hose and figuring out how to water more grass than house, street, or sidewalk. I got thoroughly soaked. But eventually mastered the sprinkler. It needed to be captured on film.

Then there are things that aren't necessarily 'moments', but more like 'objects'. Homeowner's first garage, first driveway, first gutters, first lawnmower, first fence, first tree, first storage shed, first electric screwdriver, first weeds, first giant cockroach, first walls to paint, first heart attack-inducing electric bill. . .

Aaaah. So many 'first' memories that make the change from renting to owning the amazing adventure that it is.

Holy cow, what have I gotten myself into . . .

C.T.

No comments: